CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Look for name/info on Bloomfield Pond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Look for name/info on Bloomfield Pond Reply with quote

Hello all,

I recently bought a house in Bloomfield, not far at all from Simsbury (my hometown). I pass this pond all the time coming home from work and I'm real curious about. It's in the bloomfield/windsor line area

It's in Bloomfield on the corner of Blue Hills Ave and Day Hill Rd. A small road, Hartman road, is off of Blue Hills ave and is right next to it, and another pond, so right in the middle. It looks like "Wash Brook" is what feeds into it.

Edit: Below is a screenshot of the area on google maps

It looks very accessible and I was thinking of throwing my yak in there and fishing it (park on the Hartman road cut through). I didn't want to fish it if 1) It can't be fished or 2) If it's junk. It looks like it has great cover and fishing capabilities, which is why I ask.

It can be easily seen on google maps, just go to where Day Hill Rd and Blue Hills Ave intersect and you'll see the two ponds.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated, I know we have many farmington valley/hartford count locals on here so hoping one of you know!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those that were curious, it's not fishable. It's an old tobacco fiel run off pond that is now used for drainage by the Griffin complex across the street (where The Hartford and everything is).

Got some good info from some local old timers about some good fishing spots (known and not as popularly known) in bloomfield, so I look forward to throwing my yak in and checking it out!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm always using Google maps to check out ponds that I see from the road or to find new place to check out. I fished the pond at Mills Pond Park behind the Canton high school. Not far from Simsbury but not sure about your new place in Bloomfield. Not much shore access but I did grab two decent size rock bass. I've been there twice and both times saw alot of topwater action in the pads (there are lots of pads) and I've been thinking about getting my canoe in there. If you've been there or if you give it a try, post an update. Cheers!
babycubcatcher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloomfield res has large bass in it as well. Carry in only and you would want a yak or canoe, but has bass over 5 lb in it.
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babycubcatcher wrote:
Bloomfield res has large bass in it as well. Carry in only and you would want a yak or canoe, but has bass over 5 lb in it.

Do you know which reservoir? I think you mean the one off Tunxis ave against the golf course, Reservoir 3a?

I've heard that before but I wanted to make sure it was ok to fish in there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the one!
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babycubcatcher wrote:
thats the one!

Good deal. I'm hoping to go out after work if i'm not in the office too long, so I'll probably take the yak out there and check it out. I'll have to play around to see what works well there.

I searched on here and noticed a report from Peco not too long ago, he went out on his Yak with it. Seemed alot of quantity but nothing too huge. Still, some action is nice!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is like anyplace. I have been skunked there or at least close to it, but I know there are more then a few large LMB in there and it can be hot. Being small hard for them to hide even on the toughest of days. good luck let us know how you do.
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babycubcatcher wrote:
Yeah it is like anyplace. I have been skunked there or at least close to it, but I know there are more then a few large LMB in there and it can be hot. Being small hard for them to hide even on the toughest of days. good luck let us know how you do.

I went quick last night for about 30 minutes before dark (park closes). Went out in my kayak and had some swirls and a 10 inch LM follow my shad rap to near the kayak before turning. I look forward to giving it more of a try soon!

Hey Peco, if you're lurking, any thoughts on this spot? I believe you had one report on it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishin'Fireman wrote:
babycubcatcher wrote:

I went quick last night for about 30 minutes before dark (park closes). Went out in my kayak and had some swirls and a 10 inch LM follow my shad rap to near the kayak before turning. I look forward to giving it more of a try soon!

Hey Peco, if you're lurking, any thoughts on this spot? I believe you had one report on it.

I only fished it from shore once and from a kayak once. I didn't catch or see anything that made me want to go back again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, yesterday I saw the post about this spot and figured I'd take the long way home from work and check it out since the poles are always in the car. Got there about 4:15 and proceeded to walk and fish any of the openings in the tall reeds that surround the reservoir. There is a narrow path that goes all the way around the other side right up to the golf course property. I didn't want to carry a ton of tackle so I took a spinning rod with a green/chartreuse spinnerbait and baitcaster with a 1/4oz brown/pumpkin jig with a green pumpkin craw trailer. Got zero taps, swirls or any sign of action on the east side as it was in the direct sunlight. Went all they way almost to the golf course property on the other side and picked up a small (1.5lb) LM with the jig. From that side of the water I saw an opening on the parking lot side that I hadn't noticed so I made my way back to the parking lot throwing both baits along the way and got my jig snagged trying to get close to bunch of reeds. That broke off so I went to the car, tied on a blue/black jig w/black trailer and hit that spot I had noticed. After about 5 casts I got a pretty good tap but not enough to set the hook. Stayed with it and worked that spot for a while and was almost ready to leave as it was getting dark when I felt a harder tap in the same spot. One cast later I pulled this guy (below) from about 15 feet in front of the reed opening I was standing in. I don't have a scale but I would conservatively say it was minimum 3 lbs. Some spots are really wet so if you're going to shore cast, wear waterproof boots or waders. Most areas seem pretty shallow and the water is stained/murcky. The bottom is very soft and weedy in most areas too. Shore access is tough but I'm thinking that in a yak or canoe it might be worth the drive from Torrington to give it another shot. Thanks to Babycubcatcher for the tip!!

Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Peco, up burning the midnight oil last night huh?!?!?

I think I'm definitely going to give it another shot, Scorpio great post, it definitely shows theres life in there and possibly some size. the west and end closest to the course seems to be where they stay, because I had no action on the east shore either when I went with my kayak.

I may go check it out this weekend again. I'm hoping to get out on the CT tomorrow to try get a nice Fall Pike, but if that plan falls through I may just go here. If I do, I'll post on here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see that you got a good one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: