CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Windsor Locks Canal - Windsor Locks side
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desroska

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Windsor Locks Canal - Windsor Locks side Reply with quote

Went down to the Windsor Locks Canal last night for an hour of fishing or so. We only caught a couple of bluegills and a yellow perch. Something was cruising around as it was getting dark as the bait fish were jumping right out of the water. Nothing was grabbing the bait fish though (or our lures).

I know some were wondering about paddling the canal. There are now signs posted stating NO BOATS, CANOES, KAYAKS or SWIMMING in the canal. The sign is from Ahlstrom (not the state of CT). These signs must be fairly new as we fish here often and had not seen them before last night.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsor Locks Canal - Windsor Locks side Reply with quote

Desroska wrote:
I know some were wondering about paddling the canal. There are now signs posted stating NO BOATS, CANOES, KAYAKS or SWIMMING in the canal. The sign is from Ahlstrom (not the state of CT). These signs must be fairly new as we fish here often and had not seen them before last night.

I thought that the canal is in a state park. It's funny that that DOT's trail map doesn't mention boating at all in it's list of recommended and prohibited activities:

Maybe someone should give the DEEP a call. The number listed on the website for the park is 860-242-1158.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fished it in a canoe when I was young but I don't think it is allowed. Some largemouth, white perch, yellow perch, bullheads, just about what you'd expect. I'd be surprised if you got hassled by anyone and would love to know how it goes if you go, but overall i'd say not worth the trouble.
babycubcatcher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fished it in a canoe when I was young but I don't think it is allowed. Some largemouth, white perch, yellow perch, bullheads, just about what you'd expect. I'd be surprised if you got hassled by anyone and would love to know how it goes if you go, but overall i'd say not worth the trouble.
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I was there I saw gentleman kayaking in the canal, no one seem to care.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Desroska

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder where the Ahlstrom property ends and the state park begins? The southern end in Windsor Locks would be the easiest place to put in a canoe or kayak but that is where the signs are now. The north side in Suffield has a ton of debris and stuff in the water. You would have to walk the boat down a ways to get it in.
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually where I saw the guy putting in the kayak, where the dam is/was.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Daddy Pickle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desroska wrote:
I wonder where the Ahlstrom property ends and the state park begins? The southern end in Windsor Locks would be the easiest place to put in a canoe or kayak but that is where the signs are now. The north side in Suffield has a ton of debris and stuff in the water. You would have to walk the boat down a ways to get it in.

there property ends at rt 140, but they have water rights to the canal.

i used to canoe it, swim in it, dive off the tressel.. no one ever said anything to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: