CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Zoar zebra mussels - an eye opening trip Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Enough Reply with quote

Sorry for hijacking the thread, BigEd.

I'll send you a PM, rvolkers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Keyboard Warriors"

Gota love it. I know PECO very well and I don't think his intention was to insult but to show another side of an opinion. Fished with him quite a few times this year and "HE" is more than welcome on my boat anytime.

I fish with many experienced anglers. Both Pro and Con on the Zebra Muscle issue.

On the aquatic side I think it improved Twin Lakes. The four or five times I fished there this year were banner Bass days. Same for years prior. This year I noticed that the clarity of the water diminished substantially. Either the Zebra Muscles aren't doing their job or they've run their life cycle and are gradually dying off.

On an economic side Moored Boats and Power Companies will suffer most. Neither of which will go away due to the ZM Problem and their damage they cause cause.

In conclusion, growing up in the Valley along the Housatonic River System the Zebra Muscles can't possibly have an impact as to all the tons of pollutants that were dumped in the Naugy and Housy for many years. With all the PCP's that were poured into the rivers, they may actually help. Growing up as a kid I used to hold my nose driving up Rte 8 and 34 due to the stench the pollutants caused. The river system may have cleaned it's self to a point to sustain Salmon, Trout, Pike and Bass but you can't ignore the fact that tons of toxic waste sit below the sediment. The same sediment and water that is pumped in and out of a number of man made lakes such as Candlewood.

Unless a natural predator, Invasive Species is introduced into the river to quell the Zebra Muscle problem Big Brother will find a Chemical Resolve to the problem creating another Toxic Waste Site in years to come.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, my wife and I just watched a National Geographic program in which they "drained the Great Lakes" using computer imagery. Near the end of the program, they mentioned the impact of zebra mussels in the lakes, including the blooms of certain kinds of algae caused by increased light penetration caused by increased water clarity caused by zebra mussels. Interestingly, to me at least, they interviewed a biologist who said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "The ecosystem of the Great Lakes evolved over thousands of years and is strong enough to evolve for thousands more. The question isn't, 'How do we change the ecosystem back?', but, 'What is the ecosystem now?'"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them below the derby dam.
Not in numbers like the pics posted though. I'm guessing there is a good use for them that nobody has thought of yet.
Chum maybe? Blackfish bait?
Gotta be something

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished Indian Well today. Saw a number of boats being pulled from the water. Talked with a dozen dock owners and yanked a few branches from the bottom from snags. Not one sign of a Zebra Muscle. There must be something in Eichners Cove causing them to reproduce like that!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Fished Indian Well today.

I did as well for a short time...too nice a day to not be on the water.

Have been looking for signs of zebra muscles since they stated that they were in there but have never seen any sign of them. I still take the time after putting the boat on the trailer to remove weeds etc in case I fish elsewhere but it doesn't seem horrible at the moment. I guess it's just a matter of time.

As for below the dam, I thought they were a freshwater species????? They really are a nuisance!
fishville

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is Zebra Mussels in Ct are going to be mostly isolated to the Housatonic Valley. And even then only to waterbodys with exactly the right chemistry.
Got to love Ct's ecosystem. Seems like alot of nasty invasive s that decimate other states barely cause a ripple here.
Not that we shouldn't do all we can to prevent there spread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: