CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Anticipation Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elixir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Anticipation Reply with quote

Hopefully before Xmas CT will have solid enough ice up north? This weeks stirring and the skim on the edges. Smaller bodies of water should lock up sometime very soon I hope! Anyone else have any thoughts or predictions. Im already giddy and antsy. Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: I hear ya Reply with quote

I hear ya. I'll be happy to get on ice before New Year. Christmas would be even better. as soon as there's 3.5 inches i'll be out there.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather not travel in search for ice!

I hate the cold but, I hate snow even more.

Since we live where we do, I need to deal with the cold.

Lets not have a year like the last two where one day its safe and the next day its sketchy as all hell.

I picked up a lazer hand auger so i'd like to try it out at least once.
By try it out I mean actually cut some holes and fish Smile

if you need some "traps" tip ups I have some i don't use.

I probably wont be buying much more for ice fishing mainly because, i work through out the week and i am limited to how often I go.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be here soon.. All this wind, snow, and low temps is helping to lower the water temps. Then a few days and nights below freezing and before you know it you'll have a good inch to build up upon. I'll be out there definitely before Xmas. And hopefully i'll see you out there too Wink .
Elixir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AF - The smaller ponds should have about that much by xmas. I just want to take my flask and bundle up and have a good day on the ice like last year.. Nothing like freezing for a fish... Very Happy

@PHS - Its been so long since ive heard from you! Yeah im hoping for the "middle school" to be frozen over pretty fast (probably first). I have tons of tipups from last years end of the year sales. I should be all set but thanks. Hopefully this year will be me and my bro's big year on the ice. Well be out alot I hope. We have a trip planned for his Bday like we did last year. Went at night for crappie and hit the jackpot. Keep in touch and we can hit the ice together again!

@NEF - Yeah! The wind isnt helping the ice but its helping get the water temps down to where it needs to be and get the lakes stirred up. I dont want to travel much from the area but if you know of anything before I do please pass the word. Very Happy Good ice is where its at!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a few years ago I was on the ice the second week of december. I am hoping to do that again. We usually try to have a big christmas eve event on the ice but the last couple of years we couldn't get out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x182dan wrote:
I remember a few years ago I was on the ice the second week of december. I am hoping to do that again. We usually try to have a big christmas eve event on the ice but the last couple of years we couldn't get out.

If I remember correctly, 2008 was the last time we had an early start to the season, which is when I was having a field day jigging up yellows and pickerel at Tyler before Christmas and caught my PB brown trout at Candlewood on 1/18/09.

2010-2011 was very snowy causing concerns with ice due to the weight of the snow. Then came the warmer temps in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twelve years in CT now, and I've yet to hit the ice. Finally decided season before last to give it a go. Even bought some big tip ups for pike. Never used them. This year I will get out on the ice (assuming I can find a buddy with all the rest of the crap to go with) but I'm not dinking around for little fish. It's got to be go big or, well, make a beer run while we wait for BIG.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
Twelve years in CT now, and I've yet to hit the ice. Finally decided season before last to give it a go. Even bought some big tip ups for pike. Never used them. This year I will get out on the ice (assuming I can find a buddy with all the rest of the crap to go with) but I'm not dinking around for little fish. It's got to be go big or, well, make a beer run while we wait for BIG.

If you say BIG, then places I've been to and have seen reports about include....

Bass & Pickerel at West Twin and Lakeville
Brown trout at Candlewood, Squantz, and Highland
Salmon at Mt Tom
Walleye at Squantz and Gardner

5.1 pound brown at Candy

5 pound 12 ounce largemouth at West Twin

Best battle I ever had in the ice was a gator pickerel at West Twin that eventually snapped the braid due to rubbing against the ice.

Dropping a 2 inch shiner at Candy can get you not just a big brown or smallie but plenty of those monster humpback yellows Candy is known for during the ice season.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind IS and ISNT helping.

IS
Bigger lakes / res the wind will churn the cold surface water helping cool down inches maybe even a goot below the surface

ISNT
The wind isnt helping because, once the top of the water crystallizes/ starts actually freezing the wind will make waves and the ice will be no more etc

You can look this up if youre intertested.

Depending on how good the ice is I might be more of the go big or go home type of guy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect hook set wrote:
The wind IS and ISNT helping.

IS
Bigger lakes / res the wind will churn the cold surface water helping cool down inches maybe even a goot below the surface

ISNT
The wind isnt helping because, once the top of the water crystallizes/ starts actually freezing the wind will make waves and the ice will be no more etc

You can look this up if youre intertested.

Depending on how good the ice is I might be more of the go big or go home type of guy.

Yeah. I havent checked the middle school yet but my pool (24ft) is locked up tight. Im hoping that its still all locked up because the temps drop again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was on Route 25 in Monroe Tuesday I saw very thin ice covering the West Pequonnock Reservoir, which is telling me places farther upstate should have closer to an inch. But this rain is gonna do away with it Sad
Elixir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
While I was on Route 25 in Monroe Tuesday I saw very thin ice covering the West Pequonnock Reservoir, which is telling me places farther upstate should have closer to an inch. But this rain is gonna do away with it Sad

Maybe tonight well get a flash freeze and nature will hit the "Ice Refresh" button. I can hope cant I! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chance of rain from sunday - tuesday

I am no longer going to keep getting excited over a thin layer of ice.

the day that a few places are solid enough to fish then ill be excited lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect hook set wrote:
chance of rain from sunday - tuesday

I am no longer going to keep getting excited over a thin layer of ice.

the day that a few places are solid enough to fish then ill be excited lol

But... But... It gives me something to look forward to! Better than holiday hubub! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: