CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: anything to catch?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laxerboi2434

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: anything to catch? Reply with quote

I'm from Stamford so the fishing in the sound around here is just about dead. my friend was talking about there being some action in the larger rivers. My question is what kind of fish and where to go.. I know some will be pensive to give me info but i always catch and release and since i'm sure ill be traveling a good bit i wont have any good reason to tell others these spots. If anyone could guide me with some information that would be awesome!
Thanks Very Happy
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeshs! Here we go again LOL Only Joking! See previous thread in river reports. You'll understand.

Boater or non boater.

Non boater below the Derby Dam and O'Sullivans Island. Naugatuck River for Smallies and Trout/Salmon. Sea Runs might be in. You never know what the dam will produce. Schoolie stripers are all over the river. With out a boat it's basically being at the right place at the right time. Check the DEEP Rules and Regs before you go. If you ice fish anywhere once the ponds and lakes "RE-FREEZE" again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the upper part (and mean up north cornwall area) of the housy is producing some real nice trout and smallies!
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole stretch along Rt 7 in Kent, with plenty of shore fishing up into Harwinton near the Old Clock Factory produce quite well. I personally have caught some large trout in that area and those River Smallie's fight like a SOB.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Jeeshs! Here we go again LOL Only Joking! See previous thread in river reports. You'll understand.

Boater or non boater.

Non boater below the Derby Dam and O'Sullivans Island. Naugatuck River for Smallies and Trout/Salmon. Sea Runs might be in. You never know what the dam will produce. Schoolie stripers are all over the river. With out a boat it's basically being at the right place at the right time. Check the DEEP Rules and Regs before you go. If you ice fish anywhere once the ponds and lakes "RE-FREEZE" again.

Where can I park/fish from in derby?
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West on Rte 34 in Derby. Look to the left you'll see Calvert Lock Shop. Take left and follow to river. Go farther west through Derby. You'll see Apollo Pizza on the right. Take left into factory driveway and turn right. Follow to dam. Go farther west on Rte 34. A few miles and you'll see a pull off on left with a sign First Light and Power. Pull in there and you can fish the Housy below Stevenson Dam. Go over Dam and take immediate left on other side. Sign for Kayak Launch. Drive down to parking area.

Below the Derby Dam you never know what you'll catch. Below the Stevenson Dam there are Trout, Walleye, Small Mouths and Pickerel along with Cats and Perch.

Good Luck.

Some times you'll have banner days and others total skunk. But it's always great searching new water. Be careful around the Stevenson Dam. There are areas deeper than you would think. Good spot is east of rapids if you don't mind a hike. You'll see the big bend while driving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: