CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Carp Fishing in CT
Viewing Topic: 18lb fish and 18lbs of mud
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: 18lb fish and 18lbs of mud Reply with quote

So Mike and I decided we were gonna head out to try our hand at carp. Water is still warm, and neither one of us are exactly summer-time carp guys. Plus we headed to a spot we never fished for carp before, right in River Front park in East Hartford. Needless to say, hopes were not high.
We were meeting up with another buddy of ours who had already arrived and was set up with lines in the water. Upon our arrival, he told us that he had already caught and released a smaller specimen in the lower teens. So we set up, tossed on some bait, and got the rods in the water.

My rod setup

Mike's rod setup

For anyone who thinks they need fancy gear to catch big carp, thats a 7ft tsunami with an okuma baitfeeder on the left on some bank sticks.

The wind had picked up and the bite was dead for quite some time. Our other buddy had another quick pull, as did I. Then I gotta decent run. Didn't think it was gonna be a very big fish until i set the hook and it started peelin off line. The fight ensued for a few minutes, but my cast was only 20 yards out, so it came to a fairly quick end. One last charge of energy before the net almost sent him airborne, but Mike was able to get him.

Fish went 18 1/2 pounds
To get out to the water's edge, Mike had to lay a few larger sticks down and walk along them. The mud was soft and very deep. Walking on top of it was not an option. So we weighed the fish, and then it was time for the release. Since I caught it, I was sent out with the fish in the sling to get it back in the water. I took my time, walked along the sticks which brought me ALMOST to the water, and tried to give the fish a little push with the sling...
As you can see in the photos, It didn't work out in my favor:

Whats not in the photos are my unrecognizable shoes that I had to dig out of the mud. I almost lost one of them. Oh well, at least my friends had a good laugh at my expense.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Anna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: I know the feeling Reply with quote

There's a place here in MI where I caught my PB that is un-Godly muddy like this! People spread rolls of junk carpeting over the mud in order to fish there. I've gotten in nearly to my waist in the stuff before! Shocked Laughing
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats unfortunate. I've seen the same thing here. wood, logs, etc piled on top of mud to keep from sinking.

fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of rods and reels are those in the first pic?

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okuma Trio BF80's mounted on Saxon rods. Those are my babies Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Carp Fishing in CT All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: