CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: O'Sullivans Island closed to the public immediately
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: O'Sullivans Island closed to the public immediately Reply with quote

source: http://blog.ctnews.com/connecticutpostings/2014/01/17/derby-officials-close-osullivans-island-to-the-public/#19716101=0

The Board of Aldermen in Derby voted earlier this week to close OSullivans Island to the public, after learning that the city faces a $4 million lawsuit from the federal EPA over their cleanup of the island.

Then there is the issue of not having the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection certifying that its is properly cleaned up.

The area is part of the popular Derby Greenway.

For about 40 years it was also the site of the Naugatuck Valley Fire Training that was used by almost two dozen communities to train firefighters until it closed in 1996. About a century ago, the island served as the citys landfill, until the state took ownership in 1948.

In 1963, Derby regained ownership and in the 1970s, Derby entered into an agreement with the Beard Sand and Gravel Co. to excavate material to cover the city landfill off Pine Street.

The discovery of the buried 55-gallon drums occurred in 1983 when workers digging fill on OSullivans hit some 55-gallon drums filled with an unknown material, later determined to contain PCBs polychlorinated biphenyls.

PCBs, were used as coolants, lubricants, hydraulic fluids, sealants and fire retardants. The suspected carcinogen was banned in 1977.

At the time of 1983′s toxic discovery, the Derby material was piled up, fenced off and left on the island because of the lack of a facility where it could be disposed. A new appreciation Over the years the islands popularity has increased and it has become a popular fishing spot and stop on the Derby Greenway. Because of that, the EPA deemed its remediation a high priority and officially closed in last year in order to conduct the cleanup.

In October 2008, the cleanp work began at OSullivans,

EPA officials initially estimated it would cost about $300,000 to rid the property of the contamination. But soon after work began, contractors unearthed about 85 more 55-gallon drums, according to Valley Council of Governments.

The work would evenually cost $4 million.

The Valley Independent Sentinel covered Wednesday nights aldermanic meeting and has full coverage here.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for posting this, Pete.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be more about a letter from Mayor Dugatto to DEEP explaining that $390k grant from a separate entity is being withheld pending DEEP certification that all contamination has been mitigated to acceptable levels.

My suspicion is that the closure is a local version of a "government shutdown" in a plea to get action. Perhaps it is imagined by city officials that draconian measures will invite some sympathy from DEEP or whomever else is involved, but that is just my speculation and I doubt that anyone is going to move any faster because of it.

Always, always, always, all about the money.... really hope they put it together sooner rather than later but I don't expect that anyone really gives a **** beyond the $$$

SD

The link on the OP links to the letter to which I make reference. I could not figure out how to post it here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord I hope they do something soon so it will be open for spring!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be driving to the shore for a couple of years Wade!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Even more people are going to crowd the dam
KissMyBass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Even more people are going to crowd the dam
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat ramp included ????
polstery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This state is just getting to be too much, I mean really
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing.....i feel sorry for all you dam guys now - bring on even bigger crowds.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's really not much of a loss.
There are other places to fish than up the housatonic come spring.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff wrote:
amazing.....i feel sorry for all you dam guys now - bring on even bigger crowds.

Fish the Shelton side.

There was a public hearing tonight at town hall about closing the O'Sullivan's Island area. It'll be interesting to see what the paper has to say about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the people who do not fish the dam are not going to start anyway, there is a reason people who do not fish there ....do not fish there!
Maybe I am wrong, Hopefully everyone plays nice or the police will close that too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, lots of people dont fish the dam because its just ridiculous there most of the time. I fish there once in awhile but not when its lined with people every 3 feet. If Im there and too many people show up I leave.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: