CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Jigging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Jigging Reply with quote

Member Jeff in CT and I hit Mondo Pond in Milford today. At first we were sketchy about the ice, but when we got there around 10am and drilled some holes close to shore, we were good.

We wanted to get a few shiners but no tackle shop that holds shiners was open so we just jigged. My setup was a 28" Berkley Lightning/South Bend reel/6 lb mono/pearl white Rapala Jigging Shad Rap WSR-3. Jeff used an Ugly Stik and let him use one of my glow tiger Jigging Raps. Both of us didn't rig them with mealies or spikes.

W drilled a number of holes and found 6 to 8 inches of ice closer to shore and 3 to 5 inches of solid black ice farther out. Depth was mostly 5 and 6 feet with lots of weeds.

First holes produced 3 perch for me and 1 for Jeff. I seemed to be into a school near the bottom within no time.

From there on Jeff got 2 hits at 1 hole but we didn't get into anything until it was almost 1pm. I got 2 hits and landed a 13" pickerel. That had me thinking we were getting closer to a 1pm bite.

We stayed for another half hour without drilling anymore holes but never got into anymore fish.

Hit the road around 1:30

Just know the traditional Rapala "snap" pattern with the Jigging Rap and Jigging Shad Rap and there's no need for buying mealies or spikes.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah mealies and spikes suck.
you need waxworms

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for waxworms either when it comes to jigging with a Jigging Rap or Jigging Shad Rap. Just gotta know the special "snap" technique.
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow, but nice day to get out.
Quentin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Jigging Reply with quote

A few guys came in an swear by jigging A #6 hook swedish pimple. They tried meal worms and spikes as well. Some guys swear by a dead shiner. Good Luck. If You are up By Stafford drop by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: