CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: mansfield hollow fish less ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishingbuddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: mansfield hollow fish less ? Reply with quote

Confused me and 2 of my friends spent all day out on Mansfield hollow setting tip up rigged with medium minnows and jigging switch pimples with a dead minnow over drop offs and points with out even a single bite non of us caught a pike before so we made a little bet 20 $ each to the first one to get a pike. can any one help my odds maybe some pointers or hot spots ? I am vary new to ice fishing any tips would be all some thanks Confused
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mansfield is a tough place to figure out, if your going for pike I suggest using deadbaits or extra large shiners, the bigger the better, the types of areas you mentioned should be good spots to start, and be patient Very Happy -Dan
Ten10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Mansfield Reply with quote

Most people icefish for pike about 40yrds off shore between the Mount Hope and Fenton rivers. Lots of grass that pike like to ambush from. Like the reply before use big bait !! I would post picts to prove they exist at Mansfield but it seems too challenging to do. Good luck nabbing some pike!
Quentin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Pike Reply with quote

I lived on Hamilton Resevoir Holland Ma. for 25 plus years.Big Pike on a shiner. Shallow water.I have photo of my daughter and I with a 49 inch monster at the Bait store.You can use your Ct Fishing Lisc. Massachusetts rules and regs. 2 mile long Lake on Ct Border off Rte 84 Come on Down or call 413-544-5006 Staffordville Bait , Staffordville Ct (Rte 19) Good Luck
fishingbuddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pike Reply with quote

I will have to stop by some time to check it out thanks if I was to use the dead minnows like u guys are saying do I put them on the bottom ? I mean a dead minnow a foot or two off the bottom just don't seam real to me ? my gramp got me into fishing and ice fishing sense I was old enough to walk he all ways put his tip up about a foot off the bottom. I herd guys like to keep there set up much higher then that what the best way ?
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger baits or large heads from bigger fish will catch you more pike.

Golden shiners and white suckers are very common whether dead on the bottom or alive. If you were to catch yellow perch or sunnies while jigging or on a tip up rigged with a small shiner then you could use them as bait too.

Try going to some local stream that holds bottom dwellers such as white suckers, brown bullheads, creek chubs, and dace. Chances are by throwing half a nightcrawler on the bottom you'll get something, with the possibility of golden shiners, a grass pickerel, and a pumpkinseed too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: