CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Squantz 2/15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Squantz 2/15 Reply with quote

Member Tay2Jawsh (Josh) and I hit Squantz Saturday morning into the afternoon for about 6 hours. Slush was at least 8" thick on top of 12 to 15" of ice. Josh had 3 tipups out there and I had 2. Didn't want to go through so much with manually drilling and walking through all that snow and slush. We also jigged, with josh trying 3 different rigs and me trying a glow tiger Jigging Rap W-3 and pearl Jigging Shad Rap WSR-3. We ran into Reservoir Dog.

Things started off slow. I was the first to get a flag which was a hit and run. Josh then got a flag and landed an average stockie brown about 12 or 13".

After josh got 2 more flags and I got 1 with no fish on, the flags never went up again and it was jigging.

Josh jigged up 2 rainbows and I caught 2 rainbows and a perch. 2 rainbows were small 7 and 8" fish and the other 2 were average stockies. My yellow was 8".

Josh was marking many fish on the bottom on his Lowrance as he jigged just off the bottom but the fish weren't hitting much even if he had waxies or a shiner head of the jig. I got a number of taps and lost one of those average stockies right near the hole.

Later in the afternoon once winds had picked up, snow was heavy, and it got cold, things died and we hit the road just before 4pm.
Egriffin1970

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like those rainbows the state put in are paying off.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep they just stocked a bunch of trout that size. Those fish on bottom, I concluded, are small (like7-8") white and yellow perch. Not sure if they all are, they could be walleye mixed it (which I'd be fine with getting walleye any size). But they're smaller sized fish unfortunately. If you want to catch them use your smallest tear drop with some spikes on it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that Josh also jigged up a small bluegill that would be live bait for a largemouth and saw another person jig up a yellow perch that would catch you a nice walleye.

As you said NEF, prob small panfish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: