CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: TROUT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: TROUT Reply with quote

Seeing it was supposed to be a pleasant day Thursday I decided to go check out the Mill River TMA and was hoping that recent warm temps and rain, brighter and stronger sun, and longer daylight time had melted the ice that was covering it 2 or 3 weeks ago. Got to the parking lots around 2:45pm and headed over to the honeyhole. Snow depth on the ground was about 4 or 5 inches.

Lures I played with at the honeyhole included brown trout Flat Rap FLR-6, 1/8 ounce Panther Martin, rainbow trout Husky Jerk HJ-6, purpledescent X-Rap Shad Shallow XRSH-6, tennessee olive shad Clackin Minnow CNM-7, glass pink clown HJ-6, and yellow perch HJ-6.

For some reason the yellow perch HJ-6 was the only lure they showed interest in. By giving the lure 2 jerks and then pausing for 2 or 3 seconds, the trout would either come up and go back down or come up and grab it on the pause. Landed a 14" brown and 15" brown. The 14"er was a good fighter that had girth while the 15"er was slender.

Once I wasn't getting any signs of action anymore I headed up river to a few nice stretches. Never had any luck and got the HJ-6 stuck on a small branch. Couldn't get it off because the water was too deep for me to walk in with my hip boots.

Headed back down to the honeyhole but didn't have a single trout come up.

Headed farther downstream to a few other usual spots and also to where the river feeds into Lake Mohegan. 1 other lure I tried throwing was a gold Jointed J-5. No more action.

Hit the road just after 4:30pm and decided to check out a nice stretch along Congress St. Threw the J-5, Panther Martin, and FLR-6 with no luck.

Headed home around 5:15pm

I was happy to get into trout and also happy to see the ice was gone. One thing I noticed was the water level was lower than normal.

Also, 2 birds I was seeing and hearing were robins and common flickers. That would mean spring is right around the corner!
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was just talking to somebody about seeing robins. Guess what ? they're here all year long...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i look at the calendar to see when spring will be here. Not long now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next year that ground hog is gonna get shot right between the eyes with a 308! !!!!!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Next year that ground hog is gonna get shot right between the eyes with a 308! !!!!!!!

I'd LOVE to see and hear a 1985 Ferrari 308 go flying right over that groundhog while doing a good 100 mph Laughing
eatsleepfish91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage or Ferrari, I hope someone puts Phil into place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: