CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: rainbows in the east ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishingbuddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: rainbows in the east ? Reply with quote

any One know of a good spot to jig some big rainbows in the eastern part of the state I am from Mansfield, chaplin area not looking to drive more then and hr out
eatsleepfish91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local bait shop owner told me two weeks ago they dropped 700+ into Beach Pond. Went out and caught a few thursday on tilts with 9+ inches of ice on the Rhode Island side near Arcadia. Good luck if you go! Send a report my way if you do.

Also heard of people having good luck off the Amos Lake launch.
fishingbuddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up what tackle was working best for u ?
eatsleepfish91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best luck was on small shiners and powerbait 1-3' from the top. Magenta powerbait seemed to get the most attention. (Guy next to me was using green without a hit all day)
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How deep were you when you fished the powerbait under the ice? I'll give powerbait a try this weekend on a lake that just got a nice amount of stockies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 10' of water. I usually set them low in the sandy shallows and high when theres weed beds. This was my first year trying it and I will be taking a jar with me for now on.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought an orange yellow green mix so I have three colors or I could put them together for a mix. I'll go back to where I was hitting them pretty well last weekend and try two with powerbait and 4 with shiners. Powerbait and 1 shiner uptop and the other three shiners on bottom. Or I'll do 1 power on bottom one up top, three minnows down one up. Also bought a "walleye" Berkeley bait scent. I'm gonna try and get out really early since the storms coming and maybe I'll get in at the right moment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either of you have any luck?
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The powerbait worked really well. Had trouble hooking the fish though. The fish would clean the hook before I could get to the tipup. Maybe a treble would work better. Also check your line every 30mins because the bait fell apart a few times and left the hook baitless and wasted a good hour w/o any bait on the hook.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to use the smallest hook you can find for powerbait and put a ball on just big enough to cover the hook. You can also leave the lid off the jar and let it stiffen up a bit which makes it a little harder for the current and fish to strip the bait. I eat what I catch when it comes to trout, but if your just going after them for sport I wouldn't suggest it as you will get alot of gut hooks through the ice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: