CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws
Viewing Topic: CT boating license
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: CT boating license Reply with quote

Hey guys I'm back. It's been about 2 years since I came on. So I was wondering how I can get my boating license for my 12 ft aluminum boat with 4hp Johnson outboard. I got tags and papers but no safety cert. So what should I do. I don't want to violate the law by going with out. I dun want any fines for me to pay but I want to play it safe. Any options? I'm 15 so I don't know what to do
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine when I was 13 at the sandy hook fire dept not sure thru what program since my parents registered me. For me, it was like an 8hour class and then you take the test after and if you get below 80 then you retake it and i don't know what happens after that since I got a 84. Mine was a combined boat and PWC certificate and I do remember that there were a few rules if you're under a certain age. Like if your under 16 you can only operate a boat with a certain length and HP alone. Best bet would be call the town hall or Google it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the classes are listed here.
http://www.ct.gov/dEep/cwp/view.asp?a=2222&q=320638&deepNav_GID=1620
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks. I been looking around and taking a test online and I've been doing good I think I'm on chp 2 and passed chp 1 with no below a 80
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisherman100 wrote:
OK thanks. I been looking around and taking a test online and I've been doing good I think I'm on chp 2 and passed chp 1 with no below a 80

The DEEP used to offer the test without requiring you to take a class first. I took the one-day Safe Boater/PWC class and test at Cabela's, and wish that I had just arranged to take the test without the class. If you can read the test materials, you can pass the test without the class. If the DEEP still offers the test without the class, do it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll look into it
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Fisherman100 wrote:

The DEEP used to offer the test without requiring you to take a class first. I took the one-day Safe Boater/PWC class and test at Cabela's, and wish that I had just arranged to take the test without the class. If you can read the test materials, you can pass the test without the class. If the DEEP still offers the test without the class, do it!

Wish they did when I took mine. Had to sleep through an 8 hr. class to take a stupid easy test.
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Its better than sitting at home with a baby lol. FYI my brother not my kid . Well anyway red neck did you see any younger people I don't wanna feel like a moron around 30yo people
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My class had teenagers through senior citizens. In the end, the instructor had us highlight all of the info on the test. A lot of the material is just common sense stuff. I guess it's good to at least make people learn this stuff at some point, though once you get out on the water you will quickly see that most people seem to have deleted the knowledge five minutes after the test.
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok folks I have a question...
I have my safe boaters certificate & have had it for ages. I was told that I am going to have to get a PWC also now in order to take my boat out? Is this true or not?

Thanks,

John.
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. But I seem to forget a lot during tests even though I don't study foe any but when I don't study I get higher than a b but in Italian class its a whole different ball game.... I have a c but I don't study. So I guess I'm a visual and listening learner than read. I use experience from the past. I used to go boating with my grandfather before he passed away and I used to drive the boat since I was 5. Everywhere I went I drove the boat. Its sad we got rid of it because it was a beautiful boat and its sad he passed away. He never told me how to start my boatsmotor. A 89 i think 4hp Johnson. So I guess its up to me and Google.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimiChanga wrote:
Ok folks I have a question...
I have my safe boaters certificate & have had it for ages. I was told that I am going to have to get a PWC also now in order to take my boat out? Is this true or not?

Thanks,

John.

Best bet is just to call DEEP.
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I was wondering if I need a sbc to just run a 4.0
Hp gas motor to get rid of the extra gas in my tank
And also in its system, I barely use the motor and
I would only use it for assistance for my electric
Motor to get back to the boat launch
As I've already said I need to drain it out
Of the system and I cannot do it at home
Due to a baby near by, I don't want to harm him
Or keep him Up during his nap

Idk what to do I used it today without a problem but I haven't drained it all out yet so I don't want to get fined if I do get caught should I try to explain to them?
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either a valid USCG vessel operator certificate or a state Safe Boater Certificate is required to operate any boat that is required to be registered with the state. That INCLUDES boats powered by trolling motors.

Quote:
Sec. 15-140e. Safe boating certificate. (a) No resident of the state, person owning real property in the state or person owning a vessel in the state shall operate on the waters of the state a vessel which is required to be registered or numbered pursuant to this chapter unless such person has a valid vessel operator license issued by the United States Coast Guard or has obtained a safe boating certificate issued by the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection. No owner of a vessel shall knowingly authorize or permit a person who is less than sixteen years of age who is required by this section to obtain a safe boating certificate issued by the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection to operate such vessel on the waters of the state without a safe boating certificate, unless such person is under the direct onboard supervision of a person who is at least eighteen years of age who has been issued a safe boating certificate and who has held such certificate for at least two years. A safe boating certificate may be suspended or revoked, pursuant to section 15-132a, 15-133, 15-140l or 15-140n, and shall be valid for the life of the person to whom it is issued unless otherwise suspended or revoked.
(b) A safe boating certificate shall be issued under subsection (a) of this section to any applicant regardless of age who provides proof that such applicant has: (1) Successfully completed a course in safe boating operation approved by the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection, which courses may include those offered by the United States Power Squadrons, Coast Guard Auxiliary or other organizations, or (2) successfully passed an equivalency examination testing knowledge of safe boating operation administered by the commissioner.
(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section, any person who purchases a new or used vessel may, upon vessel registration, apply to the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection for a temporary safe boating certificate which shall be valid for three months from the date of registration. No person shall be issued more than one temporary safe boating certificate.
(d) Any person operating a vessel other than a personal watercraft, as defined in section 15-140j, which is rented for a period of fourteen days or less from a boat livery need not obtain a certificate during the rental period. An owner, agent or employee of a boat livery shall furnish to each rental customer literature on safety and rules of navigation as supplied by the commissioner.
(e) Any person enrolled in a course in safe boating operation approved by the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection may operate a vessel without a safe boating certificate when under the direct onboard supervision of a boating instructor holding a valid instructor number issued by the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.
(f) Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be fined not less than sixty or more than two hundred fifty dollars for each such violation.
(g) Any course in safe boating operation approved by the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection, as described in subsection (b) of this section, shall include instruction on the proper means of: (1) Inspecting a vessel and trailers used for transporting such vessels for the presence of vegetation and aquatic invasive species, as determined by the commissioner pursuant to subsection (a) of section 15-180; and (2) properly disposing of such vegetation and such aquatic invasive species.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Safe Boater Cert you don't need the PWC Cert! Some classes teach both and you get certified in both. Look at you fishing license. If you SBC is good it will be on your license.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: