CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Transducer location
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anointed130

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Transducer location Reply with quote

So i was thinking of building me a deck for my Sylvan sea snapper and putting a foot controlled trolling motor on it.

I was going to put the transducer on it and setup the fish finder in the front of boat. So i guess i kinda have two questions,

1. With the foot controlled trolling motor, don't those come out of the water when you are running outboard?

2. if thats the case, whats the point of having transducer on trolling motor if you cant see sonar when running?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
ripline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually if you have a transducer on your trollijng motor it is for a second fish finder.

If you know the bodies of water you fish then maybe you could get away with only having one on your tm but not me. If I were to only have one, I'd have it at my console. If your setup allows, I've seen guys without windshields turn them 180 degrees so they can read them from their front deck. Looking over your shoulder isn't ideal but it is something. Keep in mind the if it is a transom mounted transducer it is also reading the back of the boat.

I usually run a ff and gps at the console and a ff at the tm. Depending on what kind of fishing you are doing, one of those ff may not need to be very fancy and purchased pretty cheap.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripline wrote:
Usually if you have a transducer on your trollijng motor it is for a second fish finder.

If you know the bodies of water you fish then maybe you could get away with only having one on your tm but not me. If I were to only have one, I'd have it at my console. If your setup allows, I've seen guys without windshields turn them 180 degrees so they can read them from their front deck. Looking over your shoulder isn't ideal but it is something. Keep in mind the if it is a transom mounted transducer it is also reading the back of the boat.

I usually run a ff and gps at the console and a ff at the tm. Depending on what kind of fishing you are doing, one of those ff may not need to be very fancy and purchased pretty cheap.

What he said. Wink I did the head turning thing to look at the finder on my console until I got a MinnKota trolling motor with the built-in US2 transducer. Now, I have a finder with GPS on the console that uses a transom-mount transducer and a finder without GPS on the bow that uses the US2 transducer on the trolling motor. If I had only one finder, I'd put it on the console and use a transom-mount transducer, so I could see the bottom while I was under way with my outboard motor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: