CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic River - Shelton 03/15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Housatonic River - Shelton 03/15 Reply with quote

I usually try to not fish during the weekend, but fishfinder (aka Wade) was free, so we fished the lower Housatonic River. We launched my boat, The Other Woman, Too, at the Sunnyside Boat Launch Facility in Shelton and were on the water from sunrise to sundown:

Unlike on Monday and Tuesday, we didn't mark a single fish with the finder anywhere near Sunnyside. We finally found a small school just upriver from the cove at Pine Rock Park and I caught the first fish:

Once again, small white fluke jigs were the only thing the schoolies would consider biting. Here's Wade on the back of the boat:

Yeap, you can take the shore fisherman off of the shore, but you can't take away his waders, nine foot rod and Van Staal reel. Laughing We were on fish for most of the day, but they were extremely finicky. It took a while, but Wade finally boated one, too:

We did a little bit of exploring, going all the way to the upriver side of Two Mile Island, but mostly stayed downriver near or in the cove at Pine Rock Park. The bite definitely picked up near the end of the day and we ended up boating a couple of dozen schoolies. Here's number 24:

Strangely, we caught fish pretty much only in spots that Wade could have reached from shore. Rolling Eyes However, I think it was a lot easier getting there by boat. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job fishing, looks like it was pretty cold out.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we were right on them thanks to Phils technology below but they were on strike most of the day! Water temp didnt change much at all. At the coldest point it was 33.6* and warmest was 35.1* so Im sure that had a little to do with it!

I believe this one below is Phils 1st fish of the day at 9:06 in the morning.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temps??? It seemed like as the day went on the temps got warmer and the wind got stronger negating those nicer temps. I believe it made it up to 51* but felt more like 36* most of the time. Once in a great while we would find fish in some refuge from the wind and once in awhile the wind would give us a break for awhile but for the most part the winds were around 12 mph and at some points more around upper 20's to possibly even gusts over 30 really giving Phils spot on navigation and trolling motor battery a workout.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
anointed130

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a color fishfinder, is all the red what is considered fish being stacked? I wouldn't know what I was looking at.lol. Guess that's where experience comes into play.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a you had a fun trip.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anointed130 wrote:
I just purchased a color fishfinder, is all the red what is considered fish being stacked? I wouldn't know what I was looking at.lol. Guess that's where experience comes into play.

In the color scale on that finder, green indicates low density and red indicates high density. When the fish get stacked up, the finder can't discriminate between individual fish, which usually appear as arcs. The thicker the school, the more red you see. When it's solid red like in Wade's photo, it's hard to avoid snagging fish, even with a single hook jig like we were using. On Monday, Bob and I saw some, well, I'll call them "less experienced" fishermen to be kind, throwing blade baits (i.e., Silver Buddies) into schools like that. They snagged up 10 fish for every one they hooked inside the mouth. Confused

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yeap, you can take the shore fisherman off of the shore, but you can't take away his waders, nine foot rod and Van Staal reel. "

Hahaha I love it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: