CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic River - Shelton 03/21
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Housatonic River - Shelton 03/21 Reply with quote

JJay (aka Jason) hadn't been fishing since last year and had the day off from work on Friday, so I talked him into blowing off his chores and fishing the lower Housy with me. We got on the water at the Sunnyside Boat Launch Facility in Shelton at just after 8:00 am and headed downriver to fish the stretch in front of Pine Rock Park. I was very pleased to find that the bite was still on from the day before. The weather conditions, however, were a lot more challenging. It was colder and much, much windier. Confused It took a while, but Jason boated his first fish of 2014 at 9:42 am:

Whoo hoo! Very Happy The bite was fairly consistent, but the best bite was in the wind tunnel directly in front of the cove at Pine Rock Park. The west-northwest wind was howling through it at over 20 miles per hour, whipping up whitecaps in the cove. We left the hot bite to get alee of the wind. While the fish in front of the cove were all dinky, I managed to get one a little bit upriver that was respectable, although still not a keeper:

Yeap, the waterproof case for Jason's iPhone makes all of his photos look like they were processed in Instagram. Laughing However, THIS was the only fish I considered measuring all day:

That's my Personal Worst so far this year. Very Happy Here's Jason with a better fish that he boated at 12:14 pm:

Although I planned for a short day, I thought we would fish until 3:30 pm. However, Jason, like my son the day before, got hungry, so we headed back to the ramp just after 1:00 pm. Confused We ended up boating 31 schoolies. Still not great, but not bad, either. If anyone has any suggestions regarding how to get finicky schoolies to open their mouths, please feel free to share them with me. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color and texture of the pic makes me think of something taken during the 60's or 70's Laughing

As for getting finicky schoolies to bite, sometimes you have to slowly drag or bounce the lure right in front of them. That pisses them off and gets them to hit.

Color of lure can be another thing. When the fish are finicky, something very bright or something of fine pearl color will get them more interested. Silver gray pearl is usually a better choice than your basic pearl white while they're finicky.
JJay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been long over due for fishing (since November 2013! )
Thanks Phil for letting me remember what catching a fish feels like!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You havent fished since then? How the hell do you do that???? LOL, I start getting DT's after 2 days!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: