CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic River - Shelton 03/20
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Housatonic River - Shelton 03/20 Reply with quote

My son is home from UConn for his Spring Break, so I took him fishing. Hard to believe, but he had never been on my boat before. We got on the water at the Sunnyside Boat Launch Facility in Shelton at just after 9:30 am and headed downriver to fish the stretch in front of Pine Rock Park. My son has a short attention span for fishing, so I set a goal of only a dozen fish for the day. He caught the first fish and boated his first ever striper, but over-reeled and dropped it over the side as he boated it. However, he quickly followed it up with his second:

Whoo hoo! Very Happy The schoolies were definitely biting better than they had been earlier in the month and I got my first of the day a few minutes later:

There was a huge sheet of ice stuck in the mouth of the cove at Pine Rock Park, but it was soft and slushy, so at 10:45 am, we broke through it to take a look inside the cove:

Nope, nothing in there. Confused Just outside the cove, however, the bite was fairly consistent. After I boated fish number 12, I asked Kevin whether he wanted to leave. He made the mistake of calling "Just One More" on himself. Rolling Eyes As DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) would tell you, that's often not a good idea. Wink I proceeded to catch fishes number 13 to 21, before Kevin's 1/2 ounce jig broke off on a bad cast and he finally gave up. Coincidentally, I had just caught two fish on two casts, and hooked into my third in three casts, when my 1/2 ounce jig broke off, too. I picked up another setup and on my fourth cast with a bigger 3/4 ounce jig, I got my fourth bite in four casts and boated fish number 21. It was really hard to leave when the bite had just turned on. Confused Anyway, we headed back to the ramp at 1:00 pm, a few minutes after the vernal equinox, which marked the end of Winter and beginning of Spring. Here's a photo of the sun at 12:55 pm, two minutes before the equinox:

Happy Spring, everybody! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pic Phil!

Bright sun, Sikorsky copter, some clouds, another boat, and land and water!

Nice to see your son was able to fish for that time period.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool pic! Glad Kevin got to catch a few. I have learned my lesson about calling just one more...lol!!
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a bigger jig body next time. There are better sized fish mixed in with those dinkers. You will miss 75% of the bites though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: