CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: How Long Does the Average Wader Last?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: How Long Does the Average Wader Last? Reply with quote

Been surfcasting for a long time. Have gone through a number of waders. Usual amount spent on new pair ranges from just under $100 for a Cabela's pair to $150 for comfy neoprene.

How long do waders in that price range last for most surfcasters before starting to show signs of leaks and scratches and having a small area torn, as long as they rinse them after coming home and hang them to dry and not crumble?

From my history, it usually takes 3 years until I start getting leaks and find a small stitched area torn.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky to get a full season but i fish more than you

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems that way to me also, Im not sure if something like Simms would do better as I bought LLBean neoprenes and breathables and both lasted a full season. Luckily LLBean has a lifetime warranty so I have just been sending mine back when they start leaking. Im not sure Id ever spend $800 for a set of waders even if they lasted a few years if I can just send back the beans after a year. I honestly think the neoprenes would have lasted longer if I had not left them in my car after using them in the freezing trunk of my car and trying to slip them on as they were still crunchy frozen from last use. I will not do that again as I think in doing that is what finally breached those. The breathables I think are just excessive wear as I use the SH!t out of them!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Last edited by fishfinder on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had good luck with LLBean waders....I've had my Cabela's for a couple years now with no issues but I don't use them as much as you guys.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current neoprenes were purchased about 3 years ago and have started getting pretty leaky within the past few months.

Found the leak that was getting worse and covered it.

Currently selling something on Ebay starting @ $99 and have 3 watchers. Plan is to buy a new pair.

Thinking about one of those Cabela's pairs just under $100 after talking with a Cabela's salesperson about the lifetime limited warranty, which he said would cover leaks. Replacement pair would be shipped.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about other peoples luck with Cabelas but my very first pair of neoprenes was from them and after 2 years they had a leak in the boot and they wouldnt take them back. I still have them and use them in emergency like lately since my LLbeans started leaking and I sent them back and they were on back order for awhile but coming have been shipped out finally and will be here Tuesday. The Cabelas seem to be good waders other then that tiny little leak which I never really bothered to fix as I really dont have much use for them now as they are waist highs and I only use Chest highs now.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now keeping an eye on 2 listings for Hodgman Breathables at half the price compared to Amazon.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my new Hodgman Cedar Run Breathable waders recently and wore them.

Nice and lightweight and not as loose as the Snowbee Classic neoprenes. Only thing is like other reviewers have said, ankle area of the boots can be tight causing chaffing, unless you're confident that you won't be affected due to the girth of that area on you.

Boots are so light you have to make sure you keep some pressure on the bottom with your legs and feet, otherwise you'll be floating.

One other thing is with these being lightweight, breathable, and made out of a thin nylon material, you have to be better about the feeling of cold and shiver than heat and sweat if you'll be using them early and late.

So we'll see how a $69.99 pair of lightweight waders last vs a $150 pair of heavy neoprenes that lasted for about 2 1/2 years. One other thing will be how they treat me on the legs and feet vs getting sweaty with the neoprenes.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

Nice and lightweight and not as loose as the Snowbee Classic neoprenes.

Not as loose as the neoprene? Hope you've tried the squat test with a wading belt on. Talk about springing a leak Laughing
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
Michael wrote:

Nice and lightweight and not as loose as the Snowbee Classic neoprenes.

Not as loose as the neoprene? Hope you've tried the squat test with a wading belt on. Talk about springing a leak Laughing

Seemed like the legs on the neoprenes were too long for me while these Hodgmans fit me better. Plus, the Hodgmans come with a belt and also have a tightener at the chest line.
CPollnow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with LL Bean. Each time you return them no questions asked. Expensive but worth it.
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How Long Does the Average Wader Last?

Personally, I am hoping to last a few more years but...

...couple of hundred trips out , so a year or two with multiple /seasonal gear...about as long as a mid market reel, so everything can be new at once!!! I think long hikes in waders are the killer, except maybe storing them in temperatures that will soften the adhesives, like a car in summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: