CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Early season ponds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeersNBass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Early season ponds Reply with quote

I'm going to make my first outing in the kayak tomorrow I'm trying to figure out the best place to go. I'm between silver lake in Berlin, hanover pond in Meriden or wrights cove in portland . Any input would be greatly appreciated.
AVec80X

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Early season ponds Reply with quote

I'm doing the same, heading into Salmon Cove from the East Haddam launch.
I live 1/2 mile up Rt. 66 from Wright's and I heard there is a huge tree down blocking the way in from the river. I've yet to check it out this year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Early season ponds Reply with quote

Let us know how you do please. I went out there in my kayak twice so far and i personally have had know luck. My aunt hooked into a pike but it spit the hook. So we did not try bass fishing but i would love to catch the smallies in there.

Thank you.
Gee_Boog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinkin silver lake in berlin this tuesday with the weather clearing up. Did you end up heading out?
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and I checked out the channel in Salmon Cove and the north end of Chapman Pond on Friday. We marked only a handful of solitary fish with the finder all day and never got even a nibble on spinnerbaits and fluke jigs. If you plan to hit the Connecticut River in a kayak, I suggest Hamburg Cove. Bring your crappie jigs and look for schools of anadromous white perch or white spinnerbaits and bang laydowns and the shore for monster chain pickerel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 6 hours in the kayak fishing Saturday from the East Haddam Launch up Salmon River to where Moodus River dumps in by Cove Road, no luck. Spoke to 2 sets of guys in bass boats, neither had any luck either.

Last edited by AVec80X on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVec80X wrote:
I spent 6 hours in the kayak fishing Saturday from the East Haddam Launch up Salmon River to where Moodus River dumps in by Cover Road, no luck. Spoke to 2 sets of guys in bass boats, neither had any luck either.

Bob and I went up Salmon River to almost the first house. I was expecting to see stripers on the bottom in the deepest part of the river mouth. We saw absolutely nothing on the fish finder.

I think you need to go further downriver to find fish, right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
AVec80X wrote:
I spent 6 hours in the kayak fishing Saturday from the East Haddam Launch up Salmon River to where Moodus River dumps in by Cover Road, no luck. Spoke to 2 sets of guys in bass boats, neither had any luck either.

Bob and I went up Salmon River to almost the first house. I was expecting to see stripers on the bottom in the deepest part of the river mouth. We saw absolutely nothing on the fish finder.

I think you need to go further downriver to find fish, right now.

Holdovers will be way north as well. Much easier to locate on the Housy with the dam.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
Holdovers will be way north as well. Much easier to locate on the Housy with the dam.

Yeap, some hang out in the outflow at the power plant in Hartford.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going to silver lake last Saturday but didn't come up with anything. However a few guys at tramp had some luck
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeersNBass wrote:
I ended up going to silver lake last Saturday but didn't come up with anything. However a few guys at tramp had some luck

Did the guys at the ramp say what the largemouth bass were biting?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya they said small paddle tail worms were the ticket in deeper water
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: