CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Rockin!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Rockin! Reply with quote

After reading the latest DEEP Inland Fisheries report, I hit the honey hole Sunday afternoon. Arrived just after 12pm.

First lure was the brown trout FLR-6 but couldn't get anything to hit.

Next I switched over to the lure that caught me the stockies last time, which was a helsinki shad HJ-8. Did a variety of jerk and pause retrieves which resulted in 4 browns up to 13.5" and a 12" brookie.

2 lures they showed interest in by slowly twitching on the bottom were a hand tied yellow and violet dry streamer jig and a Tsunami inline spinner with the colors chrome and white. 1 other Rapala they were hitting was a shad HJ-8. Lost a number of trout on the 2 HJ-8.

Later in the afternoon is when winds picked up and stone flies became active, which made the trout more interested in fly fishing and small soft plastics. I took a few soft plastics no bigger than 3/4" and rigged them on a single trout hook with a light split shot about 10" above. Retrieves varied from very light twitching to giving it 2 to 4 bounces before pausing. Missed out on a few trout and had many followers.

Later once the wind died and stone flies left, nymphs arrived and I wasn't getting any more action no matter what lures I threw. That's when I decided to use salmon eggs. Casting salmon eggs with the same rig I was using with the small soft plastics and very slowly dragging them along the bottom had rainbows and brookies going nuts! Total was over 10 bows and brookies combined! 1 of the bows did a show, with part of it being a smallie 2 footer! Made sure I'd quickly set the hook right as I'd feel a hit and 2 quick head shakes so I'd get the hook right on the edge of the mouth so it would be an easy and quick c&r.

Once action had slowed down and it was right around sunset, I hit the road.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job Michael,....great work figuring out what they wanted!! Thumbs Up
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah good job, i gave up after about 15 minutes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: