CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Squantz Pond Brown Trout 11/27/2013 4:00pm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTDavidLamson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Squantz Pond Brown Trout 11/27/2013 4:00pm Reply with quote

Weather Conditions: Basically Snowing ..freezing.. windy.. and FREEZING thumbs down

Gear Used: Gold Spoon with a black and red fly / Trailer hook 12lb test

I fished for about 15 minutes off to the side of the main dock next to the parking lot and caught a nice 14 inch brown trout. Then I fished off of the beach for about another 20 minutes and pulled in an 11 incher. I've been trying to catch a brown all year and I finally can cross it off this year's bucket list. I've been waiting for the water to get cold enough so I could catch one in the shallows. Perfect time of the year to do so. I starting fishing with a silver rooster tail but as soon as I switched to gold the bite was on! Gold on the cloudy days is a true fact.

Have A Happy Thanksgiving !

-Dave

Elixir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish, great report. Glad you finally got your brown on! Im going on a father/son outting with my pops on friday, to escape "everything" lol. Will probably be up there! Let me know how they taste as soon as you eat them Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish!
If you can put up with the cold, Squantz can be a hotspot, especially this time of year.

Congrats on no skunk, that's the other side of Squantz also. It's either feast or famine there a lot. Had more than my share of them there.

John.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the record winter of 2011-2012 I went to Squantz a few times with a former partner and got into humpback yellows and a 16" brown all on JSR-4.
CTDavidLamson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Thanksgiving Day Brown Trout Reply with quote

JimiChanga wrote:
Nice fish!
If you can put up with the cold, Squantz can be a hotspot, especially this time of year.

Congrats on no skunk, that's the other side of Squantz also. It's either feast or famine there a lot. Had more than my share of them there.

John.

Thanks Elixer! Will do Thumbs Up

Thanks John!

Yeah, Mike ... I've tried different rapala lures and no luck!. I actually stopped by Squantz again this morning and caught another brown trout that was bigger then the last two.. I would say about 16 - 17 inches but fat. I didn't get to take a picture because I let it go. I was fishing with the ***Gold spoon today and I didn't get one bite. I put on a ***Black and Silver Mepps lure and my first cast I caught a big guy. The sky was clear today.... that is why!

-Dave
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

You never told us how your trout tasted. Seeing the photo of them in the kitchen sink almost made me regret not taking home the two I caught in Candlewood.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Dave,

You never told us how your trout tasted. Seeing the photo of them in the kitchen sink almost made me regret not taking home the two I caught in Candlewood.

Phil

Yeah David Laughing ! I saw yours too Phil. Those were good eats! Cant believe you braved the cold that day. I cant wait to get some through the ice at Cwood this season. Very Happy Yum

E

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Freezer Burn Reply with quote

Phil, I have the tendency to let the trout sit in my freezer for a year or more until they get freezer burn. Hopefully it won't be the case for these two trout! Mr. Green

***Nice trout Phil! Nice color!

***I don't trust swimming in Candlewood...and definitely wouldn't eat anything out of there. So kudos for the catch and release! I would have done the same.

***Anyone have any good cooking techniques or recipes? a real recipe! not just butter ect.

-Dave
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Freezer Burn Reply with quote

CTDavidLamson wrote:
Phil, I have the tendency to let the trout sit in my freezer for a year or more until they get freezer burn. Hopefully it won't be the case for these two trout! Mr. Green

***Nice trout Phil! Nice color!

***I don't trust swimming in Candlewood...and definitely wouldn't eat anything out of there. So kudos for the catch and release! I would have done the same.

***Anyone have any good cooking techniques or recipes? a real recipe! not just butter ect.

-Dave

It depends on the thickness of the fillet.

If the meats are thick enough, then bake or broil with your choice of herbs and toppings.

What I do with fillets that are nice and thick are......

Turn oven on @ 375 pre-bake
Coat baking tray with thin layer of olive oil
Place meat on baking tray
Drizzle some olive oil over meat to help bake
Sprinkle herbs such as black pepper, parsley, and oregano on top
Bake for 5 to 10 minutes depending on thickness of fillet

Sometimes tossing the fillet around in lemon juice or a type of vinegar can give it a nice kick.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW....

I can tell from the pic that the meat from the 14"er would be good for baking or broiling. The smaller brown looks to be a quick panfry or tossing on top of a salad after quickly grilling.
moose444

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Why Not Eat Fish From Candlewood? Reply with quote

CTDavid Lamson....why the concern for Candlewood as far as swimming or eating fish from there? I have fished for over 25 years but never heard a real concern...just curious s to why you made that comment?
CTDavidLamson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Why Not Eat Fish From Candlewood? Reply with quote

moose444 wrote:
CTDavid Lamson....why the concern for Candlewood as far as swimming or eating fish from there? I have fished for over 25 years but never heard a real concern...just curious s to why you made that comment?

I personally think that there is allot of human activity on Candlewood. I prefer to eat fish from lakes that are less active so to speak .. boat activity ect. I think it stems from childhood at the Danbury town park and seeing poop floating in the water. The New Fairfield end is much nicer....but that is just my way of thinking. Less human activity = less pollution. ****I'm not saying Candlewood is polluted ...I just choose not to eat anything from the lake.
damage inc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trout have a filtration system built into them so they are the "safe" fish to consume as much as you want. Plus bass tastes like mud! Candy is clean for a motor lake. I'd eat something out of there but skip a meal from say... Putnam lake 3 miles away. My choice is only to consume the trout and salmon I catch in small ponds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: