CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Deck build on 14ft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anointed130

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Deck build on 14ft Reply with quote

In my Boredom I began working on a project to build a front casting deck. I had the idea last year but never got too far.

Heres a few pics of my progress. I have no Carpenter or engineering skills so it took more than a few bad cuts to get a halfway decent looking product.

Has anyone done this type of modification before? I am thinking of putting a seat in the front as well

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Ya I did 1 of theses Reply with quote

on my sylavan 15 footer here ya go ...anything i can help with let me know

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/boat-modes-and-upgrades-t11224.html#.U0Sd46hdVTo

I added a link to the post I made on my mods

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The framing and the cuts don't look bad at all but there may be one serious issue. If that is pressure treated wood it cannot be in contact with the aluminum.

I believe there is copper in it and it will react with the aluminum, dissimilar metals, and the aluminum will weaken and just kind of rot.

Some of the newer pressure treated I think is copper free but still had chemicals in it that will react. If you want to use wood (I did also) just apply a few coats of spar urethane or varnish and that will make it stand up to water.

I've done couple of small mods myself, doing a tracker now, but not as detailed as NWD above. His is very well done and very clean. PM if you think I can help. Also try tinboats.net, that site has been very helpful for me.
anointed130

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Bob I actually saw your mod last year and did take some of my inspiration from there. But i went with a simple mod for right now since i am a newbie.

Ripline, I did read about the pressure treated wood after the fact. I did put Spar Eurethane over all the wood. Only the 2x6 is in contact with the aluminum. Will the Spar Eurethane over that piece protect the aluminum? If not if put a piece of carpet between the aluminum and treated wood will that protect the aluminum?

Currently i am trying to make this deck somewhat mobil so it can be removed if needed. It is a little heavier than I expected but since i fish alone hopefully it will help distribute weight.

This is what i did last evening...

~Tony~
hila2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking very good so far, keep it up, you'll be happy with the results no matter what.
ripline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anointed130 wrote:

If not if put a piece of carpet between the aluminum and treated wood will that protect the aluminum?

Good move with the spar urethane but I would play it safe and put a piece of carper in there as well. If possible just check it by peaking in the hatch from time to time and make sure everything looks good.

Nice job BTW! Thumbs Up
tav

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good. I bought a new 14' a few years back and put a deck on with carpet , I think the beam was 46 ", put a chair pedestal on the only thing on mine was it was alittle unstable in the front (rocking right and left) when sitting and moving around. seems like you have a good set up there. good luck.
anointed130

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am experiencing a little instability in the front at times as well, I am getting use to it though. I put on deck last week and installed bow mount. Still waiting to get seat.

~Tony~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: