CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Trying to find a certain spinning rod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Trying to find a certain spinning rod Reply with quote

All,

I've been trying to find a spinning rod for one of my Shimano spinning reels with the following specifications:

No more than 7' in length
Fast tip
Medium or maybe medium/heavy power
Able to throw lures from 1/8 to 1 ounce

I'm trying to assemble a setup that I can use for anything from weightless soft plastics up to a 3/4 to 1oz. crankbait or jerkbait, and anything in between. I know some people have a different rod/reel for each type of lure they throw, but I'm not interested in having half a dozen setups.

I have a heavier duty bait casting setup that will handle lures from 3/4 to 3 oz., so I've got the big stuff covered.

The rod I currently am using on the Shimano spinning reel is a St. Croix Premier, but it's only rated to handle lures up to 5/8 oz., and I'd like to throw lures up to 1 oz. I've tried throwing 3/4 to 1 oz. lures with this setup, but the lures just feel too heavy.

There doesn't seem to be a spinning rod available that is rated for lures from 1/8 to 1oz. If there is, I haven't found it yet.

Any ideas? Thanks!

And one more thing...I'm not going to spend $300+ on it either.

-Eric
ripline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the Daiwa Coastal Inshore rods. They are far from a high end rod, about $80, but I have 3 of them and they stand up to some serious abuse. I use them for piking and in the salt so larger soft plastics and lures in the upper range of your criteria work fine.

They might be what you are looking for in action, length and power. Not sure where you live but CT Outfitters in Wethersfield carries them I think.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been using my Shimano Medium Heavy 7'-2" freshwater Clarus and Compre spinning rods for striper fishing, but since I sometimes throw lures in excess of 3/4 ounce and the rods are rated for lures from 3/16 ounce to 5/8 ounce, I picked up a Shimano Medium Heavy 7'-0" Teramar inshore spinning rod that can handle lures from 1/2 ounce to 1-1/2 ounces. It's noticeably more robust than the freshwater rods and also covered by Shimano's Limited Lifetime Warranty (i.e., send it in and they fix it or send you a new one at no cost). Cabela's carries them for $109.99.

Shimano's Limited Lifetime Warranty includes some pretty imposing language:
Quote:
Limited Lifetime Warranty Rods
Shimano will warranty the following rods. However, if they come to us appearing to be broken in a car door, look like they have been used excessively, or we were informed by the customer that it was broken in an accident, then Shimano will NOT warranty them.

However, Shimano has been very good at honoring its warranty when I've sent in broken rods. So far. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys, I'm gonna look into your suggestions. I think a rod that will throw a lure weighing 1/4-1 ounce is more a realistic goal. I found a bunch of daiwas that might work last night, but I'm concerned about the quality of rods like the Procyon, based on their lower pricing. I'll figure it out. I'll go talk to Gary at ct-outfitters as well. Good call.

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimano makes one Teramar spinning rod that will handle lures from 1/4 to 1 ounce, but it's a Medium, Extra Fast, 7'-10" rod (i.e., TXSX710M).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

I pulled the trigger and bought the Daiwa Procyon this morning. I work fast! Only $70, so I can now relax and it'll be here tomorrow.

We're gonna hit upper moodus this Sunday. PM me if you are heading to Keeney, White Oak or Wetherfield Cove this season. I'm SO ready!

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imsafanct wrote:
PM me if you are heading to Keeney, White Oak or Wetherfield Cove this season. I'm SO ready!

Eric

I really want to fish Keeney Cove, right now. I caught my first six pounder in the flooded trees of the upper cove a few years ago. I also heard of a nine+ pounder being caught there a couple of years ago. Now would be a good time to give it a go.

Good luck at Moodus.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: