CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Similar Day like Last Year
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Similar Day like Last Year Reply with quote

Tuesday I decided to forget about the trout fishing and head over to Twin Brooks Park. NWS had rain with a slight chance of a thunderstorm in the forecast starting around 5pm all associated with a cold front, which had me thinking I might be in for a good bite.

Arrived at the first spot just after 1pm. Setup was the 5'6" ML Eagle Claw Powerlight/Penn Fierce 2000/6 pound Suffix Pro Mix.

I played with a number of lures until I found what was working. The Mondo Pond killer and a gold XR-6 were getting fishes' attention. The retrieve I had going was a quick snap every full second.

As I hit just about every spot at all the ponds there, I stuck with the HJ-6.

Also tried throwing a silver shad JSR-4, shad TD-5, and pearl grey shiner CNC-53 in deeper sections of the larger pond but no luck with them.

Total was 2 browns, 4 yellows, 1 bass, and 1 pickerel. The bass came on the XR-6 while all others came on the HJ-6. I also lost 1 brown, 1 brookie, and 1 largemouth. Had bigger seeds going crazy for the HJ-6 at 1 certain spot. Got a number of hits by what seemed to be trout or yellows in 1 certain spot. Had 2 separate schools of yellows follow the HJ-6 all the way in.

As I worked the last few spots before leaving, it was about 4:45pm when moist gray clouds started moving in and the bite seemed to have died. 10 minutes later when I was about to leave is when light drizzle started coming down and then it became steady rain. Took cover instead of riding my bike.

Once the rain had stopped and clouds were basic overcast I headed down to Bunnells Pond. Hit the rocks and tried throwing the JSR-4, HJ-6, and TD-5 with no luck. Even tried throwing pink Mike's Salmon Eggs garlic scented on the bottom but nada.

Hit the road right around sunset.

The bass I caught was a 12" 1 pound cookie cutter. Pickerel was an average 13"er. Yellows were no bigger than a slender 8"er. The 2 browns were dinky 9".

Last year on a mild partly cloudy April day, I was fishing at the private lake and couldn't get fish to hit the JSR-4, XRSH-6, and CNC-53 that I always hit them with there. Then I decided to take a FLR-6 and do a similar retrieve I did today, which got bullgills, bass, and bigger yellows to go crazy. Later that evening I found out we were in a severe thunderstorm warning and went into Duchess to take cover, but got stuck in there for a while as the rain was torrential.

Goes to show how aggressive fish can be as a cold front and storm system gets closer before the bite shuts down right as the cold front moves through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: