CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Most efficient trout method at the Saugatuck Reservoir?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpcatcher

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Most efficient trout method at the Saugatuck Reservoir? Reply with quote

Hi, I am originally from Europe and carp fishing is probably one of the most popular there, so I have that one figured out pretty much.

However I would like to master trout fishing at lakes like the Saugatuck Reservoir and local rivers possibly.

What would be the most efficient trout fishing technique at the Saugatuck? My favorite is float fishing, but reading all about techniques like Texas rigging, not sure if that would be the best way...

I went three times within the last two weeks and managed to hook one trout on the first day using Power Bait garlic paste on a float but it jumped out of my hands, unhooked itself and ran away Sad

That was about it, nothing since that one incident... I constantly see somebody around fishing with a spinner or similar but I never see anybody catch anything...

Any clues would be highly appreciated!
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In streams with spinning gear and light mono or fluoro line, try a three or four inch stick bait, like a Floating Rapala. The Yellow Perch pattern is good. Matching the hatch is nice and all, but trout are piscivores and won't pass up a smaller fish. You'll show up the fly fishermen. Wink In lakes with colder water, lipless crankbaits in silver or golden shiner colors work, too.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krocodile spoons. Cast and let sink. Retrieve.
Weighted slip bobbers with a lot of line below them and a big shiner. Have to experiment with different depths.
Also try an egg sinker about 3/4 oz with a shiner.
These are tips for the reservoir, not streams.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the reservoir, throw something imitating a medium sized shiner or have 1 to 3 feet of line hanging from a slip bobber with a live shiner.

Large Kastmasters and Krocodiles and great lures, but as CD said, let it sink for a while.

Crankbaits such as Rapala Shad Rap and Tail Dancer and Cotton Cordell Wally Diver would match the hatch.

Smaller rivers and streams is a different story. Those trout feed on insects, small fish, fish eggs, and worms.
danm

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mealworms on a number 6 or 8 hook and use a three quarter inch bobber two or three feet up on a 4 pound line. Here's the reasoning: the mealworms are tan with segmented lines, so the fish consider it buggy or nymph-looking enough to find it interesting throughout all the bug hatches in the clearest of water. The bobber size is big enough for me to see 30 or 40 feet across the pool, but yet light enough for the trout to take it under and keep it without getting spooked. Even though most of these trout are stocked, they're very line-shy from being over-fished, so a 2 or 4 pound mono or fluorocarbon line gives you the stealth you need. I've been using this combo on all the moving water of the Natchaug for at least the past 7 years and I always get my limit. Two of my daughters go with me now and they've had great beginners' success with this setup too. Have fun with it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: