CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Tournaments
Viewing Topic: Kayak fishing tournament series proposal/inquiry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Kayak fishing tournament series proposal/inquiry Reply with quote

I was looking at some youtube clips of kayak fishing in New England.
I then stumbled upon a clip with a guy fishing in Massachusetts, and one of the comments said, "come check out MAfishfinder and our kayak tournament series".

So I did and I found they have a s--- ton of kayak fish meetups/tourneys lined up for the summer.

They have a limit of 12 to 20 people for each one.

My question is, would you guys be interested in participating in something like this in our beautiful State?

After hearing about hoe much fun people had/have at Alan's (Mase) meetups, I wanted to see if there was enough interest in doing a bimonthly meetup/tourney?
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely interested

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for somebody to do something like this!
Mase2020

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. I fished my first tourney two years ago and due to my schedule that was the only one I could make. My schedule is still the same as I only have one weekend off every six weeks so I figured if I wanted to fish a tourney I had to host them. They are a lot of fun. Some things that I try to do is keep them affordable, that's why I make the pools optional. I like doing some food afterwards so people can hang out and talk. I checked out the website and boy do they have a lot. CT is tough because the DEEP only likes one tourney per launch during that time frame and only want you to use 50% of the parking, which is understandable. If you look at a lot of the launches in CT they do not have a lot of parking and with kayaks it usually one boater per vehicle. The other part to consider is the recreational boater traffic.

I would be willing to have more if I could, but with my schedule and four kids its tough. I will try to make some if you have one and held in any way possible.
fish4fun

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a free season long team tournament that can be fun for some called kayak wars. http://www.kayakwars.com/ You sign up a four or more person team, fish whenever, post pictures of your catch, and get points. Prizes awarded at end of year for top teams. A Mass guy has been a top Point getter for New England, but I beleive a Ct. team managed to place in the top 5 last year. Can be fun to see what everyone is catching and see how your team is doing against the competition. Too late for this year, but something to think about for next year.
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,
I appreciate your info regarding this, and I look to you as the tourney "godfather" since you were the first to start something like this.

Given the number of tournaments that are already slated throughout the State, I guess my hope is that I can at least put together 3 or 4 tournaments.

I am going to start investigating open dates for June and will keep everyone posted. However, I will need a little stronger response that what I have received so far. I dont want to put in the effort to have 2 people show up.

Please let me know if you are interested in a few very casual tournaments and I will do the leg work.
Theminnow23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was wondering how this had gone. I was interested in joining the movement to start something for the following year. Five or six tournaments throughout the year

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next Tourny in Cape Cod???

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140904/NEWS/409040337
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Theminnow23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure my 12 ' yak can reel in a 14-16 great white no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theminnow23 wrote:
Pretty sure my 12 ' yak can reel in a 14-16 great white no problem.

Funny you should mention that:

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursions/post/kayak-fishing-record-set-with-1247-pound-shark/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking up canoe/kayak tournaments and I found a "trolling motor only" tournament series that they have out in Pennsylvania and it looked pretty awesome. I would be 100% down for making something like that happen here in ct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Tournaments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: