CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Stripers and Smallmouth Bass north of Hartford?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babycubcatcher

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Stripers and Smallmouth Bass north of Hartford? Reply with quote

Just wondering what people are finding north of Hartford with this high cold water. I am hearing mixed reports from friends, one saying that the stripers are already in the farmington river to some extent and the other saying that he has not found even pre spawn smallies in the tributaries yet. This seems fairly backwards from what i have experienced in the past. Going out that area on monday and I will let you know what i find, thanks for any info.
CatDaddy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im my opinion any stripers in the farmington right now are holdovers. Im just now hearing about stripers in the mouth of the CTR. It seems that the winter being extremly cold has caused the snow to melt alot slower so everything is about 2 weeks behind. All the run off from up north came down later then usual, and the water temps are lower then normal for first week of may, and the baitfish seem to be late on there arival. Thats just my opinion. As far as the small mouth, i dont have a clue. Hopefully the striper kill over the winter wont keep the numbers down.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came back from thomsonville boat launch and saw people attempting to fish for stripers, water is very high. I managed to get a 3.8 smallie, so there are some nice fish just gotta find them.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Michael

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatDaddy wrote:
Im my opinion any stripers in the farmington right now are holdovers. Im just now hearing about stripers in the mouth of the CTR. It seems that the winter being extremly cold has caused the snow to melt alot slower so everything is about 2 weeks behind. All the run off from up north came down later then usual, and the water temps are lower then normal for first week of may, and the baitfish seem to be late on there arival. Thats just my opinion. As far as the small mouth, i dont have a clue. Hopefully the striper kill over the winter wont keep the numbers down.

Very well said Wink
babycubcatcher

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input. Im guessing that ill be going for pre spawn smallies tomorrow then. Ill let you know how i do on tuesday. For what its worth we have been crushing the pre spawn largemouth in the NW corner of the state on stick baits paused during the retrieve for 6-10 secs. my friend got a 5.5lb largie this way.
babycubcatcher

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we went on Monday, two bass over 3 lbs, one smallmouth one largie. Six trout, and Agee more male bass. Saw some large smallies getting ready to bed but they were not having it. Looks like it is about two -4 weeks behind schedule. I'll go for stripers in a week or two
anointed130

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you go to farmington river?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: