CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Bass Combos Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Bass Combos Reply with quote

I am interested in what kinds of tackle you all use. How many rods do you take with you when bass fishing? I typically only take 3, a 6' M Fast baitcaster, 6' MH spinning, and a 5'6" UL spinning. These cover most everything I will need to use when im on the water. I am expanding my collection slowly as i want to try new waters and fishing styles and would like to know what all of you use, what you use it for, and how well it works for that particular usage. This is not a brand related question I am more interested in length of rod, style of reel, type of line, power and action etc. Also by what you use it for I am referring to method of fishing (what kind of lures/baits being used).

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have grown fond of 7 ft rods myself, normally medium-medium heavy. 10-12lb test. its really about comfort i think.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Michael

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's time for bigger lures I bring a 6' M spinning rod with a Penn Fierce 3000 and 8 pound mono. The rod is a Field & Stream Inferno.

But when I'm basically throwing smaller and lighter lures I bring my 5'6" ML setup, which is an Eagle Claw Powerlight with a Penn Fierce 2000 and 6 pound mono.

The ML setup is what got me into lots of summer evening topwater last year at Twin Brooks Park while throwing lighter poppers. I even landed a 19" 6 pound 1 ounce largemouth with that setup. It just takes practice and skill.
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, my ultra light fills that roll for me beautifully, plus even small fish feel big on it. Seems like we have similar sized gear. Ive always liked the 6 foot range but wonder if im cheating myself out of anything by not having something a little longer.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky2002S wrote:
I agree, my ultra light fills that roll for me beautifully, plus even small fish feel big on it. Seems like we have similar sized gear. Ive always liked the 6 foot range but wonder if im cheating myself out of anything by not having something a little longer.

Lots of these serious bass fishermen use bigger rods and heavier line to just get the fish in, unless they're fishing a very weedy lake.

I'm always in for a nice battle with a lighter setup. But as I said, it just takes practice and skill.

One other thing is when you're fishing a body of water that holds plenty of those aggressive 1 to 3 pound cookie cutters, throwing a smaller lure with your ML or L setup will get you into plenty and you'll be having a grand time.
imsafanct

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimano Stradic CI4+ 3000 with 20lb. Suffix braid on a 7' St. Croix Premier medium power, fast tip rod for jigs, soft plastics, light top water and soft swimbaits. I love the reel but I'd like a stiffer rod for better hook sets.

Shimano Stradic FJ 3000 with 40lb. Suffix braid and a S-Pro flouro leader on a 7' Daiwa Procyon medium/heavy power, extra-fast tip rod for crankbaits, hard swimbaits, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and anything else up to 1 ounce. It rocks!

These setups may seem a touch heavy but I use them on the CT river as well as lakes and ponds. In the river, you never know what may be on the end of the line, so I stay away from the ultra-light stuff.

I also have a new Calcutta 400D with 50lb. Power Pro mounted on a 7' St. Croix Premier Musky medium/heavy power, fast tip rod that I'm anxious to try for river striper this year.

-Eric
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on doing a little fishing on the CT river this season. Would a st. croix avid 6' Medium Fast with a johnny morris signature series running 14# mono be too light for the river? I also have a 6' MH ugly stik with a shimano 4000 running 15lb braided which should drag in just about anything. Im hoping these will catch me some fish in the sound as well, but I have something more appropriate for that.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky2002S wrote:
I plan on doing a little fishing on the CT river this season. Would a st. croix avid 6' Medium Fast with a johnny morris signature series running 14# mono be too light for the river? I also have a 6' MH ugly stik with a shimano 4000 running 15lb braided which should drag in just about anything. Im hoping these will catch me some fish in the sound as well, but I have something more appropriate for that.

Depends on what you'll be throwing, as for size, and where you'll be fishing.

Pike and stripers are found in the main river mostly with still a good chance in Whethersfield Cove and a slight chance in other tributaries. Those are the fish that will hit something 3" or bigger.

But if you're fishing coves outside of the main river or just throwing smaller spinners, crankbaits, and live shiners, that's when you'll be into smallies, yellows, crappie, whites, largemouths, and pickerel with the chance for a smaller striper or pike.
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, I think im all set then with my current gear, now to find time to get to the river.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main set ups are:
2 shimano Sahara 2500s on 7 M fast tip cabelas tourney trail rods w/ 8 lb sufix mono mainly for jerkbaits senkos and smaller spinnerbaits also fro skipping weighted worms and soft jerkbaits
Daiwa tatula 7.3:1 on a medium heavy bass pro rod with 12 lb sufix for topwater spinner baits and Texas rigged worms
Daiwa Tierra 6.3:1 on a M bass pro tourney special rod w/ 12 lb mono for topwater mostly

I also have an ultra light daiwa set up,for light inline spinners for trout and smaller baits for small ponds
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Croix Mojo or Trigger Rod 7'6" Med or Med/Heavy with a fast taper. Diawa Lexa Spin or Bait Cast.

Power Pro braid with a P-Line Flouro or Mono 20" leader. Attached with a double uni knot. Depends on what I'm fishing. I find the 20lb braid and 8/10lb leader works great for most applications. I'll use 50lb braid when fishing heavy weeds with top water.

The 7'6" rod will cast a mile from shore or on a boat. Difficult if fishing from tight brush but manageable.

St Croix has excellent warranties and backs them up. I've had two rods replaced. My stupidity broke them. Left them in the back of my truck for a week with a spare tire. Not a good combination.

I'm not fishing for Crappie, Red Breast, Rock bass and Sunnies. I'm targeting 2+ pound fish. I've landed many over five pounds with the above setup and never had an issue other than a bad hook set and once in a while a snapped line.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
I've landed many over five pounds with the above setup and never had an issue other than a bad hook set. . . .

At least five bad hooksets, Carl. Wink Not that I was keeping track. . . . Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Wanna Fish wrote:
I've landed many over five pounds with the above setup and never had an issue other than a bad hook set. . . .

At least five bad hooksets, Carl. Wink Not that I was keeping track. . . . Laughing

Hahahhahhahahaha ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine the bag weight if my hook set was better! LOL Lost a couple of good ones there.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Wannafish, I was using the double uni to attach my FC leader to braid as well, but then found the Alberto knot. Look it up. Easier to tie, just as strong and smaller in diameter to pass through the eyes easier for that occassional "reel it in to far" moment, lol....
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdiggy wrote:
^Wannafish, I was using the double uni to attach my FC leader to braid as well, but then found the Alberto knot. Look it up. Easier to tie, just as strong and smaller in diameter to pass through the eyes easier for that occassional "reel it in to far" moment, lol....

I like the J-knot, but it's a pain in the butt to tie, because you have to pass the entire length of leader through the knot four times. It DID restore my faith in using leaders, although I'm still skeptical about line shyness. I've never had a problem getting largemouth and smallmouth bass to bite a wacky-rigged Senko or striped bass to bite a jig tied directly to even 50 pound test braided line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: