CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Carp Fishing in CT
Viewing Topic: First Try
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: First Try Reply with quote

Very first try at a local lake that I know of that has some big grass carp stocked in it to control weeds (ruined the whole lake). Showed up mid day (bad idea?) the weather was bright skies about 75° and conditions we're decently clear. Got some corn from big y and threw about 5 handfuls out and then chucked a corn baited hook out with a slip weight about on the edge of the far side I threw the corn (like 30ft from shore maybe?). Spent three hours waiting for nothing while catching golden shiners perch and small bass near shore. I know the fish are In there cause a buddy got 4 the same spot the day before.

So can anyone give me some tips? Don't need your secret bait recipe (unless you wanna Haha), was I doing anything wrong? Or did I just had bad luck maybe?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to hear some feedback on this as well. I basically did the exact same thing this weekend at a local cove on the CT River. The carp were jumping like crazy, some the size of small dogs! Thought they would be an easy catch...but nothing!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do carp feed when they're spawning?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if they feed when spawning but I saw massive ones at candlewood spawning and they for sure weren't feeding.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthEastFisherman wrote:
Not sure if they feed when spawning but I saw massive ones at candlewood spawning and they for sure weren't feeding.

I had the same experience in Hamburg Cove, once. The water was churning with carp. They were so busy spawning that they'd swim right into the side of my kayak. I don't think they feed when they're like that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: they rather make love than eat. Reply with quote

they don't really feed, if ever, when spawning. they much rather make love than eat.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are doing is fine, I do the same thing. I know a lot of Carp Enthusiasts get really anal about their feed....and I'm sure for a good reason. For me, the biggest appeal for carp fishing is how easy it is. I ain't cooking for hours (and Carp fishing IS about 50% preparation).

Heck I don't even have the proper rod for Carps.....

Anyways, I do the exact same thing. Pour the sweet corn juices as chum and do few handfuls in the area.

Kettletown carp fishing has been spectacular for me (I have a great spot/PM me if you want). 10-15 min wait before they start hitting.....and when they hit, they hit hard.

Pulled in at least 3-4 each time I went.....

Kids and I love it. They fight so hard and it's no work , just toss it in and wait.

I find fishing for smaller fish PITA at times. BUT with a new yak my horizons will broaden greatly this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Carp Fishing in CT All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: