CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Long Island Sound Kayak Recommendation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunkercrusher28

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Long Island Sound Kayak Recommendation Reply with quote

hey guys - new to the kayak scene and went to get one for fishing the LIS this spring/ summer - any solid recommendations?

i know theres a ton out there - basic requirements i want are a few rod holders, solid fish-finder mount, storage for a few tackle boxes, and anything else you guys would suggest. thanks in advance.

dunker
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does your budget look like? I bought an unsold 2013 model Ocean Kayak and installed everything myself as it wasnt an "anglng" kayak.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I prefer sit-inside kayaks, I'd get a sit-on-top for the Sound. Out in the middle of nowhere, you'd want a kayak that would float and be easy to recover even if it were to flip over. I'd also tether all of my gear.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also make sure to buy a longer kayak, versus shorter.
Longer kayaks track better and are faster, which is something you will appreciate when in the Sound.
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont go any shorter than 12' for use in the sound. Also most definitely get a sit on top and tether everything. Take a look at hulls too, not every sit on top will be the right choice for salt water use.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys - very helpful - budget is 2k max - any specific models over 12ft' that you guys like?
PECo

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunkercrusher28 wrote:
thanks guys - very helpful - budget is 2k max - any specific models over 12ft' that you guys like?

A Hobie with a Mirage Drive would probably work well for you. There are some members on this site who fish the Sound with them.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn man
2k will get you just about any pedal system drive.
there is what Phil mentioned and there is the native kayaks with the
propel drive among others
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point ask yourself how youll transport it, will you be able to pick it up or need wheels. With a budget like that you can have any top of the line kayak. Now you just need to figure out what features suit your needs better.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try before you buy,....I don't know where you are located but Collinsville Canoe & Kayak is right on the Farmington river and has a demo program for like $20, you can try all kinds of yaks including the Hobies...then if you buy from them they will apply the money towards your purchase. Jon and Melanie run the place and they are good people,..they will treat you right!! You will not go wrong if you deal with them!
(Almost all serious saltwater yak fishermen end up in Hobies sooner or later by the way!! Wink )
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just4fun wrote:
You should try before you buy,....I don't know where you are located but Collinsville Canoe & Kayak is right on the Farmington river and has a demo program for like $20, you can try all kinds of yaks including the Hobies...then if you buy from them they will apply the money towards your purchase. Jon and Melanie run the place and they are good people,..they will treat you right!! You will not go wrong if you deal with them!
(Almost all serious saltwater yak fishermen end up in Hobies sooner or later by the way!! Wink )

I've bought two Hobies from CCK. They've always been very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: