CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT River stripers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: CT River stripers Reply with quote

Just read the latest report on CT River stripers on OTW... Looking for some advice on how/where to fish the CT River for larger stripers. I just got my 15' whaler back in action and got the trailer registered. Never been, but have been hearing reports of good sized fish to be had.

Any advice on where to launch and what direction to head? Not looking for info on your honeyholes, just a general point in the right direction.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripers are everywhere in the river now from the mouth up to north of Hartford so just pick a launch and go either direction. If you are coming all the way from Bridgeport, the closest launch is probably Old Saybrook, right under the I-95 bridge. I am not going to tell you exactly where to go,..but if I was going there for the first time, I would spend a little time just cruising around and watching where the other boats are fishing! Wink

Ps: there are rocky areas that can eat your prop in many places on the lower CTR...so make sure you pay attention to the channel markers to the North,..and if you go south (below the railroad bridge) towards the mouth,..be very cautious until you learn where those rocks are! Probably getting a good chart would be a wise investment.
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Weather permitting, it looks like I'll be heading up Saturday to fish the am bite. Appreciate the heads up on the rocks.

Hopefully I'll have a good report/pictures after.
BigSteve74

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: AM Bite Reply with quote

I agree with everything you guys said. However went out on Tuesday afternoon and got skunked. Could be more that I am a crappy fisherman (new to saltwater). I am going to try again all weekend. Hit the AM high tide and be on the beach before the booze cruises show up. Regarding the river, if you head South from the 95 launch in OSB you will see where everybody is anchored up. I won't go over there as I do not know that side of the river well enough. That is where the rocks are.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: AM Bite Reply with quote

BigSteve74 wrote:
I agree with everything you guys said. However went out on Tuesday afternoon and got skunked. Could be more that I am a crappy fisherman (new to saltwater). I am going to try again all weekend. Hit the AM high tide and be on the beach before the booze cruises show up. Regarding the river, if you head South from the 95 launch in OSB you will see where everybody is anchored up. I won't go over there as I do not know that side of the river well enough. That is where the rocks are.

Believe me,... there are rocks on BOTH sides of the river below the railroad bridge. ( I have hit them! )
The best way to learn exactly where they are is to be there on a sunny calm day around low tide when they are easy to spot (some will show out of the water at low...)
But on any outgoing tide you can "read the water surface" if it is not too windy!
Like I said though,..just take it easy and keep your eyes wide open anytime that you are outside the channel and you will be okay! You shouldn't be afraid,..just cautious!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caution: Spot burn from Rocky Hill to Hartford.......
Hadn't fished for two weeks as my gall bladder was removed. Sucked. I was the sole boat launched out of Rocky Hill last night, and I got skunked! Only saw 2-3 other boats. Fish were there but the water was dirty, it poured rain for awhile, and I wasn't soaking chunks or worms, which would have likely landed some fish but bored me to tears. I was hoping for some casting action at last light. Couldn't be bothered headed back out at 3-4am, so tomorrow morning it's out in the salt. Still beats sitting home and going stir crazy.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This navionics app is a good place to start,..zoom in at the mouth of the river to see where most of the rocks are.
http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp

The one spot where it is wrong for sure,..is that circle that says 12ft above the northeast corner of that railroad channel. That spot is definitely shallow enough to hit your prop on unless it is high tide and it pops up from 15 feet to almost nothing in a very short distance! Cool
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLoutdoors wrote:
Thanks!

Weather permitting, it looks like I'll be heading up Saturday to fish the am bite. Appreciate the heads up on the rocks.

Hopefully I'll have a good report/pictures after.

I'll likely be out Saturday morning from the Baldwin launch and south of the bridge. I run a Triumph Skiff the Gemma Rose II. If you see me give me a shout or call on 16.
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Just4fun good looks on the navionics link. My 15 whaler only needs about a foot of water to clear anything under it, so I'm not too afraid, just cautious.

@redneckangler i'll make sure to charge up my handheld VHF tonight.

Nothing quite as exciting as exploring new fishing grounds.
BigSteve74

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya besides the rocks near the causeway, I can get within casting distance of anything on the W side if the river. But agree there are rocks. I will be out there this weekend. 21 Sea Hunt. Blue top. Drifting in channel. Learning to fish.
BigSteve74

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two schoolies in the river and crickets everywhere else. Water was still kinda brown. Again, could be my lack of skills.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out below the bridge from 5-9. 1 fish around keeper early on a top water and then nothin for 3 hrs. Big fish blew up right on top of me around 7:30. No hook set. Couple guys said they got into a school and pulled 7 fish in the 20lb. range. They were about half a mile off of me. Nobody else was catching anything when I left. I'll fish tomorrow and Monday. Wanted to run to Peconic for fluke, but left my bait at home. Anyone out tomorrow send me a shout on 16 and I'll switch over to 28, or pm me tonight.
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Launched at 6 and fished til 9:30 yesterday. One schoolie early and then a 32" bass and about a 7lb blue all on topwater by the bridge.
Duffer1

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Friday night went out to Haddam Meadows Reply with quote

Caught a few schoolies and a few good sized cats. The fish were boiling up everywhere just couldnt reach them. Going again tonight did some researching so trying a new spot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: