CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Having a rough go at it
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay B

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Having a rough go at it Reply with quote

Having a tough spring fishing season and looking for some advice. When trying to locate bass, seems as though they are where I'm not. Are there specific rules of thumb when it comes to water temperature and depth of water? Does the temperature determine the water depth at which the bass are holding? If the water temp. is in the low 60s, at what depth could you normally locate fish? Fishing unfamiliar lakes with little luck this season has me questioning everything I'm doing. Fished a local lake in east Hampton for years and got really good fishing one stlye of fishing, but that has proved to be ineffective on these other lakes.
Punz203

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in my experience and from what I have learned from others fish are like us when it comes to temps. Too cold they look for warmer shallower waters because its what heats up first. when its sunny and hot, they tend to look for cooler deeper waters or shade (docks, grass, lily pads, falling trees, etc.) Look for swirls in the waters, bait fish hangouts. First and last light is usually about feeding time but they eat all day if you piss them off enough. I'm still learning myself but i guess any knowledge is good knowledge.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you fishing from shore or vessel? Fishing smaller lakes and ponds or bigger bodies? Have you done plenty of experimenting with lures and retrieves?
Gee_Boog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retrieve... Like michael said, has been the difference for me this spring. Ive slowed my retrieve down with some rapalas and had success producing a bite. Also trying to get a better feel for 3" rubber tackle is workin out for me
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass continued to whack frogs last night at my local pond. Some guy was fishing right on top of the spot where I lost a 4-5lb. fish 3 times the night before. Don't know what he was throwing, but it was striking out and he was gone by dusk. Moved in and took 2 out the spot with a watermelon Zoom Horny Toad, but not the fish I was after. If you've never fished frogs through the summer, you're missing out on a lot. Here's a link to a post I did last year. Also Google Dean Rojas!

http://redneckangler.blogspot.com/2013/08/fishin-frogs-in-your-local-pond.html
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love throwing Horny Toads. I had a lot of hits on one at Morey Pond, last Friday, but only managed to hook up with chain pickerel. The largemouth bass that hit it were all small, but the water temperature was still only 62 to 67 degrees.

The bigger largemouth bass weren't in the shallows. They were in the deeper parts of the pond, which are only eight to 11 feet. A slowly fished jig or wacky Senko worked, but that's boring compared to throwing a Horny Toad at the shore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: