CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Largemouth/Smallmouth lake recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Largemouth/Smallmouth lake recommendations Reply with quote

For our next trip, we'd like to fish a lake (we've had our fill of river adventures for a bit) around central CT where we can enjoy some good largemouth and smallmouth fishing in one body of water.

I live in Glastonbury and Bill lives in Portland and I'm truthfully not interested in driving more than an hour to get to a fishing spot.

We hit Bashan Lake earlier this year and I did great with largemouths, and though there are smallmouth there, I want to say I remember reading somewhere that the smallmouth action isn't that great there.

Some ideas coming to mind are Rainbow Reservoir and or Coventry Lake. I'd prefer a clearer, less-weedy body of water, but I'll try anywhere that comes with a good recommendation.

I fished Gardner Lake in Salem years ago with no luck. I also think I remember reading that Gardner is a tough place to fish.

To be even more honest, we're looking for an easy day on the water. No fighting the current, fighting prop-eating rocks, no long journeys/boat rides, etc. We just want to fish. And we'd prefer to be at a place where we catch both largemouth and smallies.

Eventually we'll get to Bantam Lake and go for our favorite three species (LMB, SMB and NP) but an almost two hour drive each way is not what we're into at the moment.

Mashapaug sounds interesting, if not close? Any thoughts?

Thanks as always,

-Eric
anointed130

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lower Bolton has those species your looking for.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
AVec80X

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashapaug is great! I live in Portland and it's an hour drive going Rt 17 to Rt 2 to 84, not too bad. Shoot for a weekday if you go! The place is mobbed with boaters, swimmers, etc. on the weekend and there is a $15 non-resident admission fee at the gate.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

I assume lower or middle Bolton Lake is where we'd want to be? The upper portion looks small and shallow.

-Eric
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Lower Bolton.

Also Lake Shnipsit( think thats how you spell that)

They definitely have nice smallies in there and Largemouth but its mostly shore fishing on two ends of the lake. They say some watercrafts can go on there thats kept on the lake, I have only been a handful of times and never saw any kayaks or canoes there at all.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: