CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Your rights as fisherman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Your rights as fisherman Reply with quote

Now I'm posting this in the BASS fishing forum. If anyone wants to move it somewhere else that's fine. "BUT" anyone and everyone interested in fishing needs to pay attention.

Regardless whether we fish from shore or a boat. Fish privately or with a club conducting tournaments we all need to pay attention. Some very rich and politically connected people are trying to limit at least and ban our presence permanently from our lakes and rivers.

I attended a Fisheries Advisory Council meeting last night at the Kellog House in Derby, Ct. I was fascinated as to how much effort by so few people are struggling and fighting to keep our rights as fisherman to be able to access waters to fulfil our hobbies. They are the minority.

It was an eye opener for me to see maybe 30 people associated with state government politicking for our rights. Striper Shore Fisherman in Old Lyme should really pay attention. The age gap between myself (54 years old and the others was disparately depressing.) There were very few under 30 participants attending the meeting.

the DEEP Commissioner, Klee attended the meeting.

Tournament bass boaters were the target in recent news paper articles in Danbury. But the comish stated that the tournament bass boaters and currently directing large quantities of money into the area businesses. The numbers were impressive.

What it all boils down to is this. The only voice Fishing and Hunting has in the state right now are the clubs that pull permits to perform these functions. DEEPS ability to carry out they're functions as Law Enforcement are stymied by the funds they collect. The Bass Tourney Anglers and information collected from them is the only ammo DEEP has to fight for our rights.

The next time you knock me for being a tourney angler you should stop and think about what your doing. Your making my voice which represents your voice, even though you hate me, "Weaker."

If you non tourney anglers don't group together soon you may not have a place to fish.

A perfect example is Old Lyme. The DEEP bought parking space and build a fishing peer for you guys to fish on. The town of OLD LYME took it upon their self to hire a security guard and re-direct shore fisherman to park in an area hundreds of yards away from the peer. Now you have to drag your equipment a serious distance to do what you love.

All your lakes, Candlewood residents especially, are fighting to get non banned residents or at least to pay obsorbanent parking/launching fees to fish.

If you want to make a difference than do your part and join together as a voice. If not quit your crying. Especially in public forums.

It was explained like this. When it comes time to cut the budget it's easier to cut DEEPS because very few complain. If a politician wants 5 cents cut from a school lunch program thousands show up at the capitol meeting to voice there concerns. The money they need will be pulled from DEEP or other similar organizations.

So if your gonna sit in a forum and complain instead of writing your legislator than sit back and be quiet. Let those of us willing to do the work "WORK." All your doing is hurting our efforts to help us.

I for one will be attending more FAC meetings to support our hobbies. This was my first and an eye opener. The FAC needs young minds and fisherman of al styles to help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, it doesn't matter to me whether you're a tourney fisherman, a shore fisherman, boat, freshwater, saltwater, ice, etc... we're all out there because we have a common love for something. To turn on each other and promote one type as "the best" or even as "better" is silly and like you said, will make our voices weaker in situations such as these. I don't tourney fish but wouldn't knock it, not sure why some people feel the need to promote X over Y, just because it's not YOUR favorite doesn't mean it's garbage.

I appreciate that you went to the meeting and shared this info with us. I think most people on here and hopefully most fisherman in general would feel the same way but unfortunately it just takes a few bad apples to spoil it. Keep up what you're doing and don't listen to people who try to bring you (or what you love) down. Very Happy
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my first meeting. I was asked to fill in for someone. Never knew about them but now that I do and whats discussed I'm going to start attending regularly. I'll post the info as I receive it. But unless we ban together we'll all be out of a spot to fish. Whether from boat or shore.

Candlewood Lake residents seem to be the most vocal as far a fresh water goes but the shore residents are really trying to restrict the salt guys access dramatically. I fished Winchester this week. Except for the ramp there were no trespassing signs every five feet.

The Danbury Times has been running articles about the lake residents issues. Makes for some good reading.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl..it really doesn't matter on these lakes with state launches..they can say what they will..those residents don't own the water..this discussion has been going on for years..I sat in on many of these meetings..as long as state has land or even a boat ramp people can try to do what they want..but like I said..they don't own the water
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a State Employee and seeing politicians at work for 20 years I've learned anything is possible. It's all about the vote and the # of. The right organization "PETA" and one or two idiots for politicians and it will change before we realize it. They're smart! They attach an amendment to a Cow Manure Bill knowing very few will pay attention.

Appreciate your input very much Nories. Did Phil snitch on me and tell you I passed on the Jig on Winchester? I opted for the Whacky Rig LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of feel the same as nories. A lot of the lake people think they own the lake. As long as the state has property for a launch there isn't a whole lot the lake people can do. I'm not a tourney guy. I don't like to get to the launch and have 30 boats in front of me when I'm just there to fish for 4 or 5 hours so I just get there extra early to beat the rush. Everybody has a right to be there. I hope the battle goes on and the facts are repeated over and over that the people who live on the lake, and the shore for that matter don't own the water. Keep up the good work.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key word's "As Long As The State Owns The Property."

Wraps it up in a nut shell.

and for those that knock tournament guys! They pay BASS a bit of money which goes to lobbyist to ensure our rights are enforced and waters are open to recreational and tournament anglers.

There is a positive side to tournaments whether you participate or not. If you don't you expensive hobby is reduced in cost because of tournament guys and their expense.

There are to many one sided opinions in the world today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: