CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: New to Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerskid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: New to Fly Fishing Reply with quote

Hello! I recently bought a fly rod and reel and some flies, I was wondering if anyone has any tips or knows any good spots near where I live, Naugatuck. I really think its an awesome way to fish and I can't wait to get out and actually do it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got into fly fishing this season myself... A little advice from one beginner to another.

Can't help you with spots, but I can help you with the best book by FAR to help you work on your cast.

http://www.amazon.com/Lefty-Krehs-Modern-Casting-Method/dp/B0006P94H4

I watched video after video and practiced on the field for a few weeks with little improvement. I read this thing straight through and was shooting line 80ft+ the next day.

It's also a great book to keep on you as you fish to reference what casts will help in certain situations.
CTwayoflife

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another new fly fisher here. Went to a cool spot off Exit 23 on RT-8 that my buddy who's a good fly fisherman took me to the other day. I'm still workin on my cast so I didn't pull anything out but he had a couple rainbows. Nice and open, good water level, plenty of room to practice your cast.

Wish I could remember the directions off the exit but they're escaping me atm. I'm sure I'll be there again so after I go I'll be sure to make note of the street names etc.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naugatuck river? Not sure how it is fishing wise but I do remember when I went in the winter with waders there was plenty of casting space for me. Good spot to learn whether you catch or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found when I was learning....the best way to get better is to go with someone that is proficient in fly fishing. Watch them, their technique and body posture. Then try to duplicate it with them watching you giving you an outside perspective of what you are doing. I tried to learn for years with no good results. I went out with an avid fly fisherman that I work with one Saturday to do just what I explained. It was only then that I was able to fly fish.....now I am hooked! lol
Bolygan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to fly fishing too. I watched youtube videos and I was doing quite well on my driveway. Very Happy

On the river though, I hooked the tree behind me, then my line got messed up .
I think practice is what needed, possibly standing in the river with plenty of space around.
clinteastwood

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people fly fish the Naugy between Naugtack and Beacon Falls. They stock Salmon and trout. Personally I grew up along that river and it still has that Naugy funk of a smell to it so I would not go near it although many do. They say it's "clean" now but I will never believe that. If you get off exit 23 or 24 in Beacon Falls, depending on the direction you're going on route 8, in the center of town go over the steel bridge, you can't miss it, and park on the other side. There is access right there by the bridge. If you go over the bridge and go right and down that road there is more access along the dirt road down by High Rock state park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: