CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Breakneck pond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mase2020

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Breakneck pond Reply with quote

So I went to Breakneck Pond in Union, which is inside Bigelow Hollow State Park where Lake Mashapaug is. If you have never been to Breakneck Pond it is about a 1.2 mile hike in through the woods. To get there enter the park road and follow north until you pass the Thunderbird picnic area on the left. Just after that you will see a small parking area on the right that has a locked gate and a wooden structure that is the spot to park. There is a good sized gravel road that leads to the pond, just follow the white blaze marks on the tree.
So I loaded up my kayak cart and headed in. The hike took about 26 minutes and I found a spot to put in on the southwest side of the lake. Had to wade through some deep smelly pond scum, but I lived. As I was putting in a guy named Tim came up end up fishing from an aluminum boat. Well I went around the lake and right where you put in there is a lot of weed growth which was a little murky and visible about 4 feet down. Once you get past that the lake gets about 15 feet deep in the middle. I threw crank baits and Senkos and caught six bass two pickerel and one perch. I learned from Tim when I was leaving that he had caught 20 bass mostly small ones, but all on black Senkos and he did not make it past the weedy are in the southern end. He said black worms and jig work best there as he fishes there often and added he caught a 7 or 8 pound bass that he released. So as I was leaving I threw a black Senko where he was and caught three quick ones. If you do head out there make sure to wear bug spray as the walk out, the mosquitoes were thick, but manageable. Once I got to the pond they were gone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: