CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Rate these ponds please
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RD54

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Rate these ponds please Reply with quote

In order of bass fishing quality how would you rate:

Silver Lake (Berlin)
Black Pond
Battersons Park Pond
Beseck Lake

I live in the Hartford area and these are probably the closest places to go chase the bass. Suggestions welcomed. I fish from a canoe.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batterson, Black, then Silver. After the drawdown at Beseck, who knows what it'll be like, now.

I saw your report about Batterson. Don't give up on it, yet. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to try Black pond next weekend.
We liked all the cover and Lillypads at Silver but now that the speed limit is lifted I think it could be unpleasant fishing with the canoe and the wakes from the speedboats.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally can't stand black pond. Its always packed and I have never gotten more than a few dinks and pickeral.
RHfisherman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been to Batterson though I hear nothing but good things about it. Silver definitely had some nice bass in it. Black has always been good to me although the big bass in there are tough to catch. There are big ones in there though. I wouldn't be surprised if someone pulled an 8 point out of there one day.
Dozer02

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RHfisherman wrote:
Never been to Batterson though I hear nothing but good things about it. Silver definitely had some nice bass in it. Black has always been good to me although the big bass in there are tough to catch. There are big ones in there though. I wouldn't be surprised if someone pulled an 8 point out of there one day.

Batterson has some great numbers, both weight and quantity. You are also correct in your assessment of Black Pond. The largest of bass in black pond seem to be well conditioned to artificial's (educated). I generally do best on Black pond during the pre & post spawn periods. You can catch numbers of 12" to 14" bass during the major spawning period, just remember that bass do not all spawn at the same time. This is especially true for Black pond and Hanover pond. The spawn seems to get spread over a 2 to 3 month period. So far this year, I did best at Hanover overall (mostly bank fishing) but I have caught three bass weighing 7.2lbs, 6.11lbs and 6.3lbs from Black pond fishing from the boat. Every year, black pond bass get fed a treat of freshly stocked trout, there are also native trout, as well as several species of other fry and an unusually high concentration of Crayfish. For me, the key to catching big bass from black pond is LARGE BAITS. Don't be afraid to break out your striper gear if necessary! I use large trout patterned swimbaits, the Jackall Giron in the RT bluegill pattern and 10" & 12" Manns Jelly worms, colors depending on conditions. Big Black pond bass are vigorous, to say the least, they'll test your medium or light spinning gear's drag and will easily snap any 8lb test, or lighter line. These are well fed, very healthy bass. I use 25lb PowerPro line for faster moving presentations and 15lb Fluorocarbon for the slower moving methods. Hanover has my big bass for the year so far, a 7lb 14oz girl that hit a Fat Free Shad dragged alongside a submerged tree. This was during the major pre-spawn period back in April. Black pond has some really good bass but you have to get past the "normal bass fishing" mindset and use baits that seem too big to fish anywhere else, otherwise you'll catch plenty of "clones" on standard spinnerbaits, Senko's.& jerkbaits. One of my favorite methods for catching the "pigs" of black pond is using the Jackall, parallel or adjacent to the large bluegill spawning beds (clusters), this is still happening right now! The largest of females will swarm through these "bluegill havens" several times a day! If you put a big bluegill bait out about 10 or 20 feet away from the beds, you'll find the big female bass right in their ambushing territory. You're sure to bend your rod doing this! Give these methods a try the next time you hit black pond and see what I mean. Wow! Did I just give away my fishing secrets? Sure I did, because I'm a fisherman and fisherman are awesome! Have fun on the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: