CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Black Pond Meriden 6/7/2014
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Black Pond Meriden 6/7/2014 Reply with quote

Stopped off at Uncle B's tackle shop in Wallingford for some night crawlers. Nice place and the owner is a real nice and informative guy.

Drove over to Black Pond and arrived at 7:30.
The water still had some mist coming off of it and there were some locals shore fishing, in addition to several canoe/kayakers already fishing.

This was my first time there so I banged the eastern side of the pond, but there were too many weeds to be dealing with without a frog in my arsenal.

Right away I got some hits on a 3 inch blue senko but no fish boated.

I made my way to the western side and boated a few bass with the nightcrawlers and a purple flake senko.

All in all I fished from 7:30 to 12 and boated 6 fish. They were definitely hitting and I am looking forward to making my way up there again soon.

cigar for the trip....gurka premium edicion
Dozer02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Pond is a very misunderstood pond. There are some really big Largemouth there. If I was looking for sheer numbers, I wouldn't fish Black pond at all. If you go to Black Pond again, be certain to bring your larger baits. Topwater baits are a must-have for Black Pond. Any swimbaits in Trout or Bluegill patterns will usually put some heavy hitters in your boat as well. During times of bright sun, the pad's near the boat launch will usually produce decent fish, as will the many submerged weedbeds located throughout the deeper center of the pond. The state dumps a ton of feeder sized farm raised trout here every year so the bass have an annual feast. This gives us bassers an easy lure selection. I fish the Castiac Trout, (a very large swimbait) patterned in rainbow trout. I certainly don't catch numbers using it but I have caught several 6 to 8+lb Largemouth on it from Black Pond. Two years ago, I caught & released a Largemouth measuring 24-1/2" long with a girth of 15". I did not have my trusty Normark digital with me. I've had several "local's" tell me at the boat launch that there's no more bass left in there! I don't know if they just didn't want me to fish there or what, but I have proven them wrong time & again. Now the same folks ignore me whenever I pull in! Fishing from the bank in Black Pond can be a lesson in frustration! You can't really access the favorable areas from the shoreline. You really need a boat to make the most of this little gem.
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pictures of these bass Dozer02?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: