CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Boat vs Kayak??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Boat vs Kayak?? Reply with quote

I am seriously contemplating selling my boat to downgrade to a fishing kayak. I have only had the boat for about a year and it seems i dont use it as much as I want to plus about 90% of the time i am by myself when I go out.

Would anyone else make this trade off? Why or Why not?

Currently have a 14ft super snapper, looking to get a 10-12 foot sit-in fishing kayak.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Mase2020

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a boat so I can't speak on that aspect, but after having a sit in and sit on top I suggest a sit on top kayak as they are more stable and easier to add and modify. I know some on here prefer sit in ones, but just my .02 cents.
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a sit in kayak before, a trophy beach. the only reason i got rid of it because it was too small and seat was uncomfortable. the sit on top just looks like you would get wet easier. It seems that a sit on top would be more tipsy than a sit in.

~Tony~
Mase2020

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sit on tops are more stable and hold more weight and a lot of them now come with straps to pull yourself up to stand. They are wetter as they have scupper hold that a little water will come in through, but the new ones have two to three position seats to get you up off the deck. They have transducers that fit into the scupper hole so no drilling to add fish finder. Lots of room for tackle storage and a crate and rod holders.

New one and old one.
AVec80X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a small 9' 6" Tender with a trolling motor and downgrading to a kayak was the best move I ever made. It's easier to transport, I can get into smaller (less fished) spots and it's a decent workout if you're putting some good paddling in. Personally, I'm all about the sit inside models. I like the dryness factor, but as Mase2020 said…they hold a lot less weight and have a lot less room. I only head out with one 350 box of lures, a small hip pack and 2 rods so it suits my needs.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier is better, so whatever is easier for you is what you should do. I really enjoy fishing with others and have a garage in which to store my boat, so my boat is actually easier than my kayak. However, when I fish alone, I load up a kayak.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy fishing with others but it seems I fish by myself more often than not due to my schedule. Decisions decisions.

~Tony~
alan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sit on top hands down. had a sit in and will never go back.
I picked up a trident 13 last spring and love it i have taken it out to the sound many times last year and cut two foot waves with ease.
nothing beats kicking back in a comfy seat with your feet in the water pulling up flounder. and i love the storage! fishing poles go right inside with snacks and a beer.
even on windy days up in wolcott on scoville res it had great tracking.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had boats, canoes and yaks. The yak is great for ease of use, cost and versatility with so many fishing specific models now. A boat is no good if it just sits in the driveway. I currently run an 18ft. skiff which I love, and just got some yaks for my kids. I made sure my son's could accommodate some fishing gear. Have a feeling I'll be borrowing it on a regular basis Smile
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: