CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Hanover Pond 7/2/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jca1386

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Hanover Pond 7/2/14 Reply with quote

Arrived at the "boat launch" about 0630 this morning. Only a few others in the parking lot. After launching the kayak i parked and navigated around to get my bearings. One thing I have to mention is the fact that the Carp are HUGE in this pond. They were literally jumping from the water and landing on the lily pads. it seemed like they were chasing whatever was under those pads away and or eating them. I pedaled out to the dam and threw a 6' bass pro chartruse/green senko texas rigged. I grabbed one cookie cutter bass and tossed him back in. I then went to the area immediately to the right of the boat launch in a small cove. Continued to throw that same lure and brought in 2 2LB LMB. They fought extremely hard and once they say the yak they even fought harder. I tooled around the entire pond and once again was greeted by very very large and curious carp who appeared to be following me around and decimating any and all spots I went to fish at. They were disturbing ALL the pads and laydowns and swimming by at mach 3. It appeared that the dam is a good spot for activity as the bass were jumping pretty steadily for my duration there. I went over that way, threw a few casts with the worm and spinnerbait and got a bite but not worth me launching my pro angler over the dam and then waiting for co-workers to come rescue me from the base of the dam.

After some time i noticed the lot at the ballfields becoming loaded with cars. It didn't take long for the lot to fill up and literally box my 4Runner and trailer right in the spot I had it in. The wind began to really whip up at that point and without an anchor on the yak I decided to call it quits for the day and head back home.
Ctmrxmas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report.....thanks for sharing! Glad to see you had a little action today and had some fun!
jca1386

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can absolutely see the potential in that pond....just hard to fight the wind, carp and a loaded parking lot of baseball parents. My schedule allows me a lot of weekdays off to go to these places so hopefully I can write some good reports on what I see (or don't).
Dozer02

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, I'm surprised you didn't get a heavy topwater bite. I was there with my 8 y/o son Tuesday afternoon. I started out in the weedbeds out to the left of the boat launch, threw a pad crasher and caught three nice Largemouth right off the bat, the largest of which weighed 3.3lbs. We then motored past the small island to the shore of Hanover park (the Q-trail). It gets deep enough to support some heavy bass once you get about 100 yards past that little island. Once there, I threw Zoom Super fluke's in "Houdini" & "Smokinsilver" using fluorocarbon line. I ended up with six more Largemouth, the largest weighed 4.6 on the Normark digital. My son ended up with a total of four bass one was a 2lb Smallie but his big fish of the day was a Largemouth from the freshly fallen tree right near the newly built retainer wall, it weighed 3.9, he got it with a 3/8oz Stanley jig in two tone brown with a Yum Craw Papi trailer. From your report, it sounds like you stayed in the main pond area (boat launch, dam ect..) If you go again, try out the rest of the pond, go between the ball fields & that small island and row all the way over to where you see the fallen timber, it'll be on your right once you get past the island, fish that timber and the freshly fallen tree that I mentioned and keep fishing the entire length of that shoreline all the way to the Hanover park area and you'll certainly see some bigger and more numerous bass. Between the island & the ball fields it gets very shallow (1 to 2') but don't worry, the farther you go, the deeper it gets. The average depth in this part of the pond is about 4 to5', with plenty of cover & forage, this part of Hanover holds the majority of the bigger bass. Give this area a try your next time there, Hanover pond is part of the Quinnipiac river system, the bass there are healthy & vigorous "river bass" they fight like champions! If you see a dark blue Ford Ranger 4x4 with a Karavan trailer in the parking lot, that's me with my 12' v-hull (pondhopper), feel free to stop & say hello! Whenever you park there, be aware that there are three ball parks in a cluster along with basketball & tennis courts that get heavily used. Best bet is to park to the right of the boat launch, you shouldn't get blocked in there.
jca1386

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect. Thanks for the information. It seems like I needed to get over to the red bridge side of the pond. I'll have to head back out there again soon. Thanks for the information, hopefully I can actually hook something noteworthy!
jca1386

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. I ened up behind the ball fields near that large tree that had fallen, not really great luck there, wind was kicking my butt all around. I ended up near that side of the pond for a while throwing that senko into the high grass to no avail. There was that larger island to my right side if i was pointed towards the ball field. I assume you're referring to the river road/oregon road side of the pond. i didn't get over there, now I know thats the side I need to go to. Basically I need to spend a little more time over on that side of the pond. Ill be the guy in the blue 4runner and the dune colored hobie pro angler. Thanks for the tips!
RD54

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report and advice. Never been there but will have to visit with my son soon.
Dozer02

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jca1386 wrote:
Thank you for the information. I ened up behind the ball fields near that large tree that had fallen, not really great luck there, wind was kicking my butt all around. I ended up near that side of the pond for a while throwing that senko into the high grass to no avail. There was that larger island to my right side if i was pointed towards the ball field. I assume you're referring to the river road/oregon road side of the pond. i didn't get over there, now I know thats the side I need to go to. Basically I need to spend a little more time over on that side of the pond. Ill be the guy in the blue 4runner and the dune colored hobie pro angler. Thanks for the tips!

Yup, the wind has been stiff for the past week or so. You are correct about the Carp in Hanover, they're giant's! The main reason they jump is to regulate their swim bladders. They also tend to group up under lilly pads for the shade/cover that comforts them. Goldfish can be observed doing the very same thing in aquariums. They expel air out of their swim bladders to regulate their position in the water column. On your next trip, I strongly recommend fishing about 50 yards out and to to the right of the boat launch (the major weedbed) even in bright sunlit conditions, I always get my first three to five bass to hit a weedless topwater presentation, usually a hollow frog. That same area can produce several nice bass using a Carolina rig with a naturally colored bait, such as a creature bait or a plastic worm, the heavy weeds make feeling bites a little tough but I find it's worth it. Use a heavy action rod with stout line. I often fish this area from the launch/shore after work and always manage to pull a few out. You would've had much better numbers in less windy conditions, I get frustrated playing around with the trolling motor in an attempt to stay put, I've seen several yak's blowing like a feather across the water! It's hard to adequately present a bait under those conditions. Hanover has native & stocked trout so I like trout patterned baits there, also purple or "junebug" colored Senko type worms seem to catch the eye of Hanover bass (I use BPS Stik-O's) they fall a little faster & cast a bit farther but the best part is that they're whole a lot cheaper! As the summer pattern progresses, the area of open water before the dam seems to get more productive, I'll use standard crankbaits that dive to 10'. It's less weedy there so you won't get fouled on every cast. Some of my heaviest bass in Hanover hit crankbaits. I know Hanover quite well, I can tell you where there's a submerged swingset, submerged industrial cable 1" in diameter that can wreak havoc on a trolling motor (ask me how I know) and other curious "items" that do not belong on any lake bottom! Straight across from the boat launch there is a house with an above ground swimming pool, that shoreline and the timber there hold a lot of bass, I "see" them on the sidefinder regularly during the hot summer months, that's also the deepest stretch of shoreline all the way up to the dam (11' deep). It's also where the trout tend to stack up, find them trout and you'll find the biggest of bass that Hanover has to offer, closely flanking them for a high protein snack! That's where I like trout imitations like swimbaits in rainbow trout patterns. I live less than three miles from Hanover so I get there quite often. The pre-spawn is amazing there! Unlike other lakes & ponds I get my best results in mid to late afternoon in Hanover. I'm usually arriving when most others are getting ready to leave! It's not your typical fishery. Hopefully I'll see you there & I can give you as much insight as I can provide (without taking up valuable fishing time. I suck at typing but excel at shootin the breeze! Hope to see you there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: