CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Ideas for shallow, clear water
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgkarlen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Ideas for shallow, clear water Reply with quote

Has anyone fished Burr Pond or other lakes around Torrington and know what has been working well for bass and crappie? This time of year where do the fish usually spend the most time? Also, any other suggestions for shallow, clear water fishing.
Thanks! any help ideas are appreciated !
RTownsend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try using a fluorocarbon leader
Dozer02

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished Burr pond years ago but not as of late. If the water is gin-clear, you'll have to adapt stealthy tactics. Clear water bass are generally more easily spooked than stained or muddy water bass. Fluorocarbon line is a must, also downsizing your presentation will help. As for location, the midsized bass will be starting to school up and roam in open water, mid depth, coming in shallow to feed during low light periods. Some of the largest bass will stay shallow long after the spawn, as long as good cover is available. In clear water, be sure to make very long casts and try to keep your baits entry as quiet as possible. Fish all around bluegill depressions (spawn clusters) and any cover near them. You'll find the lazy big females prefer to stay close to bluegill colonies for a quick & easy meal. Pay close attention to details when fishing gin clear waters. If you don't, the fish will. Highly detailed baits can make a big difference in clear water. I fish two lakes that are generally clear and always use a good invisible line, like Berkley Vanish or Spiderwire fluorocarbon. Baits like Koppers Live Target Bluegill work exceptionally well due to their inherent highly detailed finishes. Soft plastics should be translucent and muted, natural colors like "motor oil" or "watermelon seed". Be sure to apply a good scent cover like garlic or shad oil to your baits (I like BANG garlic). Quiet Topwater "walking" baits like a Sammy or a Zara Spook can be very effective. If vegetation is present, try a hollow body frog bait, you can often conjure up some of the biggest bass in a lake this way. Clear water is one of the toughest obstacles to overcome in bass fishing, but it also tends to aid in locating the bass. Cover is your friend here, use it to your advantage.
Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dozer pretty much nailed it on presentation, baits and technique. Nice post! I live in Torrington and honestly don't hit Burr very often anymore because it can be a very finicky pond. If you're targeting big bass, it's not the best spot. Tons of perch and slime darts and the deepest it gets is about 6 feet in various areas. For bigger bass, head to Winchester Lake. Not far from Burr. Also very close is Park Pond but the LM's aren't as big there but you'll catch fish. Stillwater Pond is not a favorite for me but I've heard that trout guys like it. If you want to head out to Goshen, try Dog Pond and West Side Pond. Decent sized largies in both.
Good luck and maybe I'll bump into you out there one day.
Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: