CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Penfield reef 6/28/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonamcobain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Penfield reef 6/28/14 Reply with quote

The bite was pretty much on as far as fishing sea robbins. Caught them on any possible lure that i had.

Was chunking as well, used the head. and voila .. wonder what size was it as i forgot my measuring tape. Wish fishing was like this everyday more often.

IMG950943 by sonamcobain, on Flickr

Last edited by sonamcobain on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fishermen have told me 2 good ways of using sea robins as bait are the head for stripers and strips of the tail meat for fluke and porgy. I'm sure rotten chunks of the tail meat would work for catfish too.
sonamcobain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the funny thing is i wish i could do that, but i just cant kill something i caught, my tibetan buddhist side of me doesn't let me do it. But next time I see some dead sea robbins ill make sure i use it.

Last year i found a bag full of dead rotten sea robbins at the cannon in bridgeport.. If your not going to use them as bait why kill it. Rite now we are taking them for granted but some day soon, they might be scarce too.

Michael wrote:
Some fishermen have told me 2 good ways of using sea robins as bait are the head for stripers and strips of the tail meat for fluke and porgy. I'm sure rotten chunks of the tail meat would work for catfish too.

Last edited by sonamcobain on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I await the day that sea robins are scarce.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonamcobain wrote:
Oh the funny thing is i wish i could do that, but i just cant kill something i caught, my tibetan buddhist side of me doesn't let me do it. But next time I see some dead sea robbins ill make sure i use it.

Last year i found a bag full of dead rotten sea robbins at the canyon in bridgeport.. If your not going to use them as bait why kill it. Rite now we are taking them for granted but some day soon, they might be scarce too.

Michael wrote:

Fellow surfcasters I know from Seaside have told me they've witnessed chummers hitting a freshly caught sea robin against the rocks and then throwing it back in the water or leaving it on land dead.
sonamcobain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
sonamcobain wrote:

Last year i found a bag full of dead rotten sea robbins at the canyon in bridgeport.. If your not going to use them as bait why kill it. Rite now we are taking them for granted but some day soon, they might be scarce too.

Michael wrote:

Fellow surfcasters I know from Seaside have told me they've witnessed chummers hitting a freshly caught sea robin against the rocks and then throwing it back in the water or leaving it on land dead.

Yeah the bag i saw last year had almost 10 of them all rotten and smelly.
Here in ny people do that with skates, They say that they are taking all the bait, ive even seen people do that in coney island pier with crabs.
eatsleepfish91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple years back a good friend of mine caught a spider crab off fort trumbull and he chopped it in half for bait. Ten min later something doubled his rod over and snapped the line before he could get it out of the rod holder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: