CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake Erie - Buffalo, NY 07/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Lake Erie - Buffalo, NY 07/14 Reply with quote

I'm chauffeuring my wife and a couple of her colleagues around Buffalo. After I dropped them off for their 3:00 pm meeting, I found my way over to the shore of Lake Erie. Bell Slip along the Greenway Nature Trail looked so nice that I went online and bought a one-day, non-resident fishing license for $10.

I walked down to the water and as I made my first few casts with a Zoom Horny Toad, I asked an older bucket fisherman who was leaving how he did. He shook his head and gave me a sigh of disappointment. When I said, "It must be the weather.", he replied, "No, I think it's still too early." I asked what kind of fish he normally catches there, and he told me white bass, black bass and pumpkinseeds. As he turned to walk away, I got a hit on the frog and set the hook. Whoo hoo! Very Happy

I asked the bucket fisherman whether he keeps his fish. He said, "Yeah. . . .", so I offered the largemouth bass to him. When he saw it, he said, "That's too small to keep.", so I asked, "How big do they have to be?" When he replied, "12 inches.", I said, "THAT's at least 12 inches!" He said, "No, that's 9-1/2." He pulled a tape measure out of his bucket and the fish was 13 inches long. He said, "That'll do. I'll cook it up tonight." Fishermen! Other fishermen's fish are always shorts and theirs are always lunkers. Rolling Eyes

The bucket fisherman's parting words for me were, "You better make sure you have your papers with you. He'll check 'em. He was already here." I told him, "I'm good with that." I'm no poacher! Wink I ended up catching another largemouth bass with the frog, a 12 inch long keeper, and a rock bass with a wacky-rigged Red Shad five inch Senko.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good work and good report as always, Phil!

-Pete
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were just up in Niagara. I kept thinking about fishing Oak Orchard and the lower Niagara river.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were just up in Niagara. I kept thinking about fishing Oak Orchard and the lower Niagara river.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great spot for a frog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: