CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Hanover Pond 7/5/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RD54

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Hanover Pond 7/5/14 Reply with quote

Wind wind and a ton more wind.
Fished the area near the Q trail from my canoe. Had a few carp chase my chatterbait but no bites. Fought my way over towards the Southwest side and fished the area that is more like a small stream. Hooked into a perch and a cookie cutter LMB using a Cabelas Grave Digger shallow crankbait in super shad (red hooks). No bites on the senkos or the frogs.
Water was very brown due to the rain and the wind was downright abusive.
Not many others out there today. A few other yaks, a row boat and about a half dozen people on shore.
Dozer02

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always sorry to hear of a non-productive day on Hanover. I usually avoid Hanover after significant rain fall because of the muddy water that you likely experienced. That rain also cools the water temperature quite dramatically which can give the bass a temporary case of lockjaw. It only takes a couple days after the rain for the water clarity & temperature to return back to their normal levels. Hanover pond is basically just a flooded section of the Quinnipiac river. The conditions there can vary greatly from one day to the next. I'd expect the pond to return to it's normal status by midweek. Once that muddy runoff water settles, the temps will rise and the bass bite will explode! I see this a couple times every year on Hanover. The wind has been a major hindrance so far this year. Usually by this time of year, I find myself wishing for a breeze just to cool off while on Hanover but the heavy winds of spring haven't seemed to let up at all yet??? Hopefully the summer pattern will resume within a week or two and we can start catching those big heavy mammyjammers! Don't give up on Hanover just yet! It'll come around for sure!
jca1386

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the potential in that pond, I guess a guided trip would be helpful! LOL I live about 10 minutes from the place so pulling some measurable fish out of there would be a great reason to keep going back there! Hopefully the wind finally dies down and I can stand up and cast without becoming a human sail!
Dozer02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be glad to meet up with you there. I too live less than 5 minutes drive from Hanover. I'll be working 12+hr days for the next 10 days in Plainfield at the renewable power plant (welding pipe). After the 16th, I'll be free on weekdays. Hopefully the winds will die down by then & the frog bite will be back on! I'll send you a PM on here for details about if or when you'd like to meet there.
mdejohn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a Hanover for the first time Weds 7/9. Brought the kayak, and fished to the left (as looking from the shore) of the boat launch. The storms were rolling in so I did not go far!!! Was there 6-7:30 and pulled out 5 decent largemouth and 1 small mouth all on a Carolina rig with either watermelon or purple worms. Cant wait to go back and see the rest of the lake as it is only 10 min from my house!! Thanks to all for the posts as I never knew you could boat on lake!!
Dozer02

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdejohn wrote:
Was a Hanover for the first time Weds 7/9. Brought the kayak, and fished to the left (as looking from the shore) of the boat launch. The storms were rolling in so I did not go far!!! Was there 6-7:30 and pulled out 5 decent largemouth and 1 small mouth all on a Carolina rig with either watermelon or purple worms. Cant wait to go back and see the rest of the lake as it is only 10 min from my house!! Thanks to all for the posts as I never knew you could boat on lake!!

Nice! Hanover usually produces a nice limit of bass when on a boat. We've had some adverse conditions lately with stiff winds but the weather seems to be heating up and the bass bite usually increases when you get into that summer pattern. The bass's movements/locations are more predictable now. The lengthy weedbeds about 50 to 60 yards out from the launch almost always produce a couple nice bass. Did you happen to notice the fight in these bass? They fight like NFL line backers! Smallies aren't as common as largemouth in Hanover but you sure know when you get one from the violent initial strike, followed by that unmistakeable "airshow"! If you live ten minutes away, make good use of the pond, it won't disappoint you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: