CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Beat the Skunk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Beat the Skunk Reply with quote

High tide for Black Rock was 3:16pm and arrived at the Fayerweather jetty just after 1:30pm. Had my 7' Sea Striker setup with me.

Southwest winds were a steady 5 to 10 mph which made things hard on the Black Rock Harbor side and water very nice on the beach side so I casted on the beach side. Lures I tried throwing included chartreuse bone XRW-13, chartreuse blue SSP-12, blueback herring LC-12, purpledescent FLR-10, and pinfish SSP-9.

First cast out with the SSP-12 and set the hook. Landed an 18" 2 pound harbor blue. After that nothing else happened on the Skitter Pop so I switched over to the LC-12 seeing that's the lure that got me into the 1 to 3 pound harbor blues a few weeks ago.

Cast out there with the LC-12 and pretty soon I get into a bite. Lost 4 on the jump, had 3 hits, and lost 1 while battling it. One cast resulted in setting the hook before quickly losing the fish, but another 3 hits as I kept on reeling after the blue spit the hook. I would occasionally see what looked like 2 to 4 inch peanut bunker jumping.

Once the tide had started heading out is when the bite died and saw some splashes farther out than where I was originally into them. Headed over to Breezy Point and worked most areas resulting in nothing. Facing towards the west and southwest sides of Breezy Point was weedy.

Checked out Remington to see what the snarbor action was like. The discharge was LOADED with small bait! Saw freshly hatched snapper blues jumping and chasing the minnows. Never got into anything there with the LC-12 and FLR-10 and others weren't into much compared to last time.

Headed back over to Breezy Point but nada so I decided to spend the rest of the evening at the boat ramp.

A group of chummers were at the ramp when I get there and 1 only caught a sea robin. I wasn't getting into anything with the LC-12, SSP-12, and XRW-13. Later once it got closer to sunset and I was the only one out there is when things started getting active on the surface. Schools of bunker rose and got thick while 1 school was being chased. I couldn't get to the fish nor the bunker, but if I had my lighter 7'6" setup I would have had a better chance.

Once it got closer to 9pm I hit the road.

When I filleted the harbor blue I checked its tummy and found fresh bitten chunks of smaller bunker.

This is the swimming plug that the 1 to 3 pound harbor blues have been showing most interest in
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real good report Michael, thanks.

I had heard the snappers had hatched and were stirring up the waters. Fluke bait baby!

With the cocktail blues out in full force, might be time to try my hand at catching a blue on the fly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: