CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Weekend of 7/12 - 7/13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Weekend of 7/12 - 7/13 Reply with quote

I hit the North cove at Keeney Saturday morning and got this LMB on a green pumpkin/red flake 5" senko. (Thank you again Phil)

Bill and I went out Sunday morning to Bashan but we quit after an hour and a half due to the wind. We packed up and headed to Upper Moodus where it was still windy, but not as bad. We only had a couple hours to spend there and I grabbed 3 LMB's in the back on the same Senko.

This morning I hit Keeney again for an hour before work and hit two more LMB's, this time on a Keitech Fat Swing Impact rigged on an Owner Twist Lock weighted swimbait hook.

Good stuff!

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now you have to try fishing with a Zoom Horny Toad on a 4/0 EWG (Extra Wide Gap) Offset Shank Worm Hook. Use 50 pound test braided line. It's a topwater lure; just cast and retrieve over lily pads and surface weeds. Don't worry if it swims upside down; the fish don't care. When you get a bite, pause your retrieve for a couple of seconds (count "one, one thousand, two, one thousand") before setting the hook. Set it hard by snapping your wrists back and pulling your arms up to your face. A vertical hookset is best. If you set the hook and it's just gone, it got bit by a northern pike or a chain pickerel. Tie on a steel leader and try again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Is the Horny Toad your frog of choice? I've got a couple LiveTarget hollow frogs that I've thrown a bit this year with no success. It's frog time of year and pads are everywhere so I know I should be working them more than I do.

-Eric
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not the same kind of bait, I've got a couple different Stanley Ribbits. They're soft plastic like a worm and they don't float. I struggle getting them to work correctly lol. Tried them when I lived on Beseck, but only got a few short strikes. I do like the floating frogs a little better myself. Jmo
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imsafanct wrote:
Phil,

Is the Horny Toad your frog of choice? I've got a couple LiveTarget hollow frogs that I've thrown a bit this year with no success. It's frog time of year and pads are everywhere so I know I should be working them more than I do.

-Eric

I love the LIVETARGET Hollow Bodied Frogs. They're the most durable of the hollow bodied frogs that I've tried. But nothing gets a fish to bite like the splashing legs of a Zoom Horny Toad. Not even a Stanley Ribbit, John. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with Phil on this one!
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what Frog you use! If your using double frog hooks try bending them out slightly. They may not be as weed less but your hook ups will increase dramatically.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'll take your word for it. I'll actually have to grab a pack. What's your go to color Phil? Are just as easy to use in the yaks?
imsafanct

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

For the Horny Toads, what hooks work best?

And for the LiveTargets, I've only tried a slow stop, jerk, stop retrieve so far. Maybe I need to turn the boost up on the retrieve?

Thanks as always.

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoom Horny Toads in the Bullfrog pattern are great, although whenever I'm down South I try to pick up some in the Watermelon Crawfish pattern. However, I think that my choice of color is less important than the action of the lure.

As for hooks, I prefer a simple Gamakatsu Number 4 EWG (Extra Wide Gap) Offset Shank Worm hook in either silver or red. I've tried the screw-type lure holders that Zoom recommends and Stanley Double Take hooks, and have found them to be less weedless than a classic offset shank hook.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil- Have you noticed that the Zoom Horny Toads aren't really durable? I've been going through so many as of late that I'm thinking of picking up two packages next time I see them. I've noticed that after one or two fish, a rip forms where the hook goes into the frog which causes the hook to expose much easier. I start snagging weeds every cast and usually throw on a new one.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowhunter095 wrote:
Phil- Have you noticed that the Zoom Horny Toads aren't really durable? I've been going through so many as of late that I'm thinking of picking up two packages next time I see them. I've noticed that after one or two fish, a rip forms where the hook goes into the frog which causes the hook to expose much easier. I start snagging weeds every cast and usually throw on a new one.

You're right that they're not very durable. Sad Today, the feet on my Horny Toads were being torn off simply because I dragged them over lily pads. It happens. But the one good hit I got from this three pound, five ounce largemouth bass was worth it:

The Senkos I lost were worth it, too, when I got a hit from this 4-1/4 pounder:

Seriously, though, the Horny Toad works where and when other frogs don't. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Horny Toad for the win. Caught 45-50 LMB on em so far this year, mostly on white and watermelon red, including this 6 lb 2 oz beauty. Nothing like a top water smash!! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: