CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: First Northern Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ctmrxmas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: First Northern Pike Reply with quote

Well, I was at West Hill Saturday evening. I caught a small LG mouth bass, a rock bass. Then On my last cast of the evening hooked my first Northern Pike. It was a 5lb 3oz. Is this the reason why I cant seem to catch a trout here lately? lol

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh91/ctmrxmas/140719WestHill-031.jpg
anointed130

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That my friend is not a pike but a chain pickerel and a very nice one at that. They are good eating if prepared right.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Ctmrxmas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Damn.....back to the lake I guess. Ill have to go to Bantam, I know they are in there! lol Thanks for the clarification. Smile
Ctmrxmas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the anglers guide. That was just above "trophy size" for a Pickerel. oh well.... lol
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that you haven't caught a trout there, too, especially with a Shallow Shad Rap. That's a pretty chain pickerel, though.

The sad thing is that many of the West Hill Pond locals view pickerel as a threat to their trout and kokanee, and kill and discard the pickerel after they catch them. If you go ice fishing there, the wanton waste is amazing. One Winter, I saw a group teaching it's kids that pickerel are trash. The little sociopaths were using them as footballs and soccer balls. It was sad to see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sad. The parents should teach them respect for all life!

I have yet to catch a trout there this year. I had not fished that lake in 15+ years, so I didnt know if something had radically changed over the years. I used to go there and my cousin and I would both have our limits in an hour or so. This year, I cant buy a trout! The fish market even tells me no! lol
Ctmrxmas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record.....this one went back in to fight another day Very Happy
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctmrxmas wrote:
That is sad. The parents should teach them respect for all life!

I have yet to catch a trout there this year. I had not fished that lake in 15+ years, so I didnt know if something had radically changed over the years. I used to go there and my cousin and I would both have our limits in an hour or so. This year, I cant buy a trout! The fish market even tells me no! lol

Stick close to the boat launch ramp or fish the deeper water. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pickerel! I have yet to catch a gator pickerel and love fighting them.

Trout is the #1 food for chain pickerel and are a threat to trout stocked lakes.

When the state did their very first stocking at East Twin, they weren't successful and found the chain pickerel population and sizes to be the issue. Before they stocked again, the state held a special tournament and fest to help get rid of lots of chain pickerel from that lake. Once tons of chain pickerel were caught and kept, the state was successful with the rest of their stockings.
damion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
The sad thing is that many of the West Hill Pond locals view pickerel as a threat to their trout and kokanee, and kill and discard the pickerel after they catch them. If you go ice fishing there, the wanton waste is amazing. One Winter, I saw a group teaching it's kids that pickerel are trash. The little sociopaths were using them as footballs and soccer balls. It was sad to see.

that's interesting........I've heard that before but with sunnies during ice fishing. I sent an IM to a member here who ice fishes for more info because I can use them as feeders instead of them going to waste. The response was "respectable fisherman" unhooks them and either returns them into the hole or keeps them. So I guess there is no waste during ice fishing?
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damion wrote:
that's interesting........I've heard that before but with sunnies during ice fishing. I sent an IM to a member here who ice fishes for more info because I can use them as feeders instead of them going to waste. The response was "respectable fisherman" unhooks them and either returns them into the hole or keeps them. So I guess there is no waste during ice fishing?

Yeap, most ice fishermen I know practice catch-and-release.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who finds fishing stocked fish a bit odd? I mean, they are spending money, to stock a lake that won't hold over winter, so angler can catch them and take them home or release.

On top of that, people describe the fish that do hold over as a threat to the fish they are introducing into the ecosystem.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan1 wrote:
Am I the only one who finds fishing stocked fish a bit odd? I mean, they are spending money, to stock a lake that won't hold over winter, so angler can catch them and take them home or release.

On top of that, people describe the fish that do hold over as a threat to the fish they are introducing into the ecosystem.

Nope, you're not the only one, Dan. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: