CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Anyone Seen this before?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jca1386

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Anyone Seen this before? Reply with quote

White spots on the tongue, also noticed a separation of cartilage between his lower jaw and his gills. You can see my finger through his bottom jaw. Guy also had a spot on his right side the size of a peanut and it was white. Fought hard all the way to the kayak and took right off after i released him. Any ideas what that could be?
Dozer02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's likely an infection caused by I multifiliis, commonly referred to as “ich” or “white spot disease" among the biological community. Fish with secondary illnesses often lack the natural bio-defense to combat "ich". It is contagious among other fishes through direct contact and can be passed between individual fish. There are other more benign conditions that may cause the presence of white spots, like genetic predisposition or inherited pigmentation. Usually there's no cause for concern unless the water body is very small and heavily populated with fish. I've seen similar cyst's in bass all over the country.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen ich in my daughter's fishbowl. We spent many times the cost of her goldfish trying to eradicate the ich. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I've only seen ich in my daughter's fishbowl. We spent many times the cost of her goldfish trying to eradicate the ich. Laughing

Sometimes we overlook the symptoms of ich in our gamefish. On your daughters Goldfish, the appearance of ich is much more pronounced because it's likely more severe due to the confined environment it lives in. You also notice it more because of the clear aquarium and the color of the fish. Our common gamefish like Bass, Pike, Walleye's and even Carp can have a case of ich and we could easily catch & release the infected fish without ever even noticing it unless it's in it's progressive stages where the symptoms will be visibly evident. You will often notice dead fish on the shore of your favorite pond or lake, many folks will see it and figure that it got hit by a boat prop or just died of "old age" but it's more likely a casualty of an infection like ich or a similar bacterial contagion. In my 37 years of fishing, I've caught three freshwater fish that had latter stages of ich, all of which came out of small ponds (2 Bass & 1 Pickerel). The photo is not detailed enough to make a definitive diagnosis of ich, which is why I mentioned inherent markings or genetic causes for the white spots. I almost forgot to mention the bass's lower jaw, I've been seeing a lot of folk's "Bill Danceing" their bass. They actually pry the lower lip to lift the entire fish! This annoy's the hell out of me! They do this in an attempt to be more visibly appealing but are sadly misguided. ALL Bass should only be lifted in a completely veritcal position, the hook or lure removed promptly and if photographed, be held by BOTH the bottom lip and the BELLY of the Bass. The hand supporting the fish's belly should bear 80 to 90% of the fishes body weight while the lip grasp is only used to stabilize the fish upright for the photo. If you dislocate a bass's jaw, it impairs it's chances to effectively capture prey and breath thus stunting the bass's growth process and even killing them in many cases. Luckily most folks on this forum know not to display our bass in this manner but there are avid fisherman among all our lakes & ponds that do this constantly especially among "cookiecutters", these sized bass are punished this way far more than any other fish. I guess it's an attempt to make an average or smaller sized bass look somehow bigger? Whenever I see this punishment inflicted while I'm on the lake, I'll go out of my way to make the fisherman aware of his/her incorrect behavior, not in a mean or argumentative way, more like "aw man, I saw the way you handled that bass dude. Ya can't do that because you're likely dislocating his little jaw which makes it hard for the little guy to eat & even breath". I've actually made several friends doing this. I'll see them same guy's and they'll hold up a bass vertically, look at both sides of the fish and place it back in gently to allow it grow up into the rod bending machine that it was meant to be! I ask everyone to do the same if you see this happening on your lake. Those fish are the future of our sport, we must speak for them.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not Ich. It says a white spot the size of a peanut. Ich is little white dots, actually parasites, more like the size of a salt crystal. Ich is also usually not found in ponds that are of decent size because the water quality is usually pretty good. Ich in ponds is usually limited to very small ponds similar to what someone might have in their backyard that may be stocked with store bought fish. The small ponds are harder to maintain water quality.

A white spot of that size is more likely a fungus, bactera or possibly just a pigmentation change.
Dozer02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
Definitely not Ich. It says a white spot the size of a peanut. Ich is little white dots, actually parasites, more like the size of a salt crystal. Ich is also usually not found in ponds that are of decent size because the water quality is usually pretty good. Ich in ponds is usually limited to very small ponds similar to what someone might have in their backyard that may be stocked with store bought fish. The small ponds are harder to maintain water quality.

A white spot of that size is more likely a fungus, bactera or possibly just a pigmentation change.

Agreed. I just realized that the photo could be enlarged by clicking on it. Yup a "senior moment"! Now that I saw the enlarged photo, I would agree that this would be a mild fungal affliction or just a predispositioned pigment deviation, both are quite common.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: