CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Mondo Redux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishindoc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Mondo Redux Reply with quote

I headed back this morning around 7:30 after taking an early skunk at Nell's Rock Reservoir. I headed to the same spot and used the same topwater frog. I got there just prior to the sun peeking out from the clouds, so I was hoping to catch the tail end of whatever bite was going on at the time. On the fourth cast I popped the frog just off the end of the grass mat and a bass exploded on it. I set the hook and within five seconds it jumped clear out of the water. I fought it like hell for a few minutes and almost lost it in the flooded bush right in front of me. The frog was torn completely off the hooks and had been pushed two feet up the line. It was hooked through the bottom lip and I sliced my finger pretty good when I grabbed it, but it was a small price to pay. I weighed it twice: 6-7 on the first go, 6-10 on the second, so I'll call it an even 6 1/2- definitely a best for me in CT. I had it out of water for a bit longer than I would have liked and was scrambling to take a pic. Instead I ended up hitting the video button on my phone, so I will try to post it once I figure out how.

I stayed for another 20 minutes and, figuring that my day couldn't get better and being anxious to see my little girl's reaction, I headed home content. At around 6:45 I decided to head back to test my luck again. When she found out that I was going, she asked to come. I took her out for the first time when she was 3 and have had her out more than a few times over the last four years. When here, though, she's understandably more interested in hanging out with her grandparents and cousins, so I was shocked at her interest. I was also psyched at the chance to put her on a big one. No monsters this time, but she did lay into a spirited bass on the same frog. I didn't weigh it, and I'd say it was pushing 15 oz. on its heaviest day, but she took one look and said, "That's a solid 2-lber," so that's what I'm going with. After the morning heavyweight, I never would have guessed that my day would get better because of a "2-lber."

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a cute pic of your daughter holding the bass!

Congrats on another pig!
JasonK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of frog are you using? I fish there and other places inMilford and I have never seen a fish that big come out of there. I was there throwing a brown pad crasher last night with no luck but I did catch a nice 2 pounder on my 4' 6" ultra light with 2lb test with a green trick worm.
JasonK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of frog are you using? I fish there and other places inMilford and I have never seen a fish that big come out of there. I was there throwing a brown pad crasher last night with no luck but I did catch a nice 2 pounder on my 4' 6" ultra light with 2lb test with a green trick worm.
JasonK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishindoc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike!

JasonK- Both fish (the 6 1/2 and the 5 1/2 the day before) were caught on a Booyah Pad Crasher, the standard green and multicolor top with the yellow bottom. Last night I was also throwing a black, popper-style frog, but my daughter caught the fish with the same green and yellow. To be honest, I was never really sold on color as an issue with frogs, but maybe there's something to it. I have seen plenty in the shallows and on the edges and they look black/brown to me, so I would have chosen that color if I had the choice. The place can be really difficult, especially given the fishing pressure it gets. I first started going there maybe 5 years ago. That summer I used Zoom Horny Toads almost exclusively. I would skip them sideways under branches anywhere I could squeeze into and was very successful (solid, healthy fish up to 3 lbs.). I can also tell you that most of the action came later in the morning, ca. 9-11. In the early morning hours I would play around dead-sticking a 6-inch Senko and would grab a decent fish here and there. Over the last two summers, however, I haven't caught anything of note. I took a 4-lber last winter on a lipless crank at the far end of the main pond- in a spot that has never produced for me during Spring/Summer. I was there again around Easter time and did ok with jerkbaits and Zara Spooks of all things. I have spoken to many different people who note that there are big fish in there and, to be honest, I have seen one bigger than the 6 1/2. I had one follow a jerkbait this year and stop dead three feet in front of me. It's head looked so big in the dingy water that I thought it was a carp. Only when it turned did I see that it was a bass, and I can tell you that it was certainly bigger than the one I took yesterday.

On a different note, I cant seem to figure out how to post a video here. Any thoughts?
JasonK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that green one too but I haven't really mastered the frog hookset, I get too excited and have lost quite a few fish. I've had good luck this year all over Milford, mostly at dawn before sunrise and after 8pm. They have been nailing a ghost spook I have but mondo is pretty thick with weeds right now so I'm not using it there. Caught a healthy fish on Saturday but I need more posts before I can post a pic.

I've been fishing that place for 20+ years. I went to the school there. I haven't been fishing in a bunch of years. Its amazing what the internet has done for my fishing skills.

You might be able to pull a still shot from your video if you edit it on your phone. Not sure what phone you have.
Ctmrxmas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the hog and great story to boot!
fishindoc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ctmrxmas.

JasonK- The advice worked. Here's the best shot I could muster. I'm tryin to hold my phone down below and the fish above and close to me, so the angle is awkward.

The hookset thing is a tough one. The key is the pause, but many times that only applies if the fish and frog are clear of cover. When you are fishing it over and through slop/weeds/heavy mats, often when you miss it's really because they've missed. This still drives me crazy, especially when you set the hook and feel all that weight, only to draw up on 3 lbs of salad and a memory of what could have been. Are there other good spots in Milford? I'm always looking to expand my options.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topwaters that have been working best for me and getting me bass up to 3 pounds 2 ounces are Heddon Tiny Torpedo, Heddon Baby Torpedo, Heddon Spit'n Image, and Rapala X-Rap Walk. One day in June I lost a number of bass on the jump while using a Tiny Torpedo, with 2 of the bass looking 4 or 5 pounds.

The real thing has been color due to all the dragonflies flying around, which bass love feeding on.

2 other things have been speed and noise. Most of the time the bass prefer me doing a slower walk the dog with the Spit'n Image and X-Rap Walk. Later in the day if I'm not getting much action on a Tiny Torpedo or Baby Torpedo, I make some aggressive jerking on the surface and then pause, which gets some lazy fish to hit.
JasonK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught this on Saturday at the pond of exit 36 on a ghost finish super spook jr, the Excalibur version, which for some reason walks so much easier. Last week I lost a much bigger fish 5 feet from shore wrapped in the lily pads.

I was by myself and I used the timer on my camera on my phone. It's so hard to hold the phone and the fish and get a good pic lol...I'm glad that worked for your pic.

I fish at the small pond at Jonathan Law high school, some decent bass and big pickerel. Milford reservoir is good and I know there is big bass in there. There is a small weedy pond off exit 35 that I know has big bass in it but it's really hard to fish in there because it's really over grown. I'm looking to expand out of Milford. Ive been fishing all these ponds since I was a teenager, but it seems like every time I try a new place I get skunked
bjo16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason i fished some of those ponds you mentioned years ago. never did much at any. i generally dont have anyone to go with anymore besides my brother so I usually only go on the boat on the weekends. Im in stratford. id be up for going with you sometime if you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: