CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Another Mondo Pig
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tricky912

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Another Mondo Pig Reply with quote

I apologize in advance for the novel, but I was in a writing mood today.

After a recent trip to PA, where I had a considerable luck fishing lake wallenpaupack after dark on top water, I thought I'd give mondo a visit at night. I arrived about 9pm with my son. I was a little discouraged by lack of fish breaking water. I expected to see, or at least hear more activity.

We worked a few of our normal spots. As luck would have it, my son cracked a guide on his ultra light. He was using my 6' med mitchell rod that i have been fishing with for the last 20+ years, fitted with 6lb test mono. Certainly nothing special, but don't think i will ever get rid of it. I was basically using a back up rod. A 6.5ft shakespear rod fitted with a bottom of the line shimano reel and 30lb braid. I normally use it for schoolie stripers or to snag bunker. My son was fishing a combination of senkos and top water poppers. I was on a black and yellow sexy frog.

No action at the 1st few spots. Seemed the only bite that was on was that of the mosquito variety. We moved to another spot. It was so dark that I had to rely on memory to get close to a structure that i wanted to fish. I was using a steady walk the dog retrieve. On about the 10th cast, I heard a relatively small splash in the direction of my lure, followed shortly by what felt like a truck on the end of my rod.

I worked the fish for just a moment to ensure we had a good hookset and handed the rod over to my son. He didn't expect the fight that he got, and the look on his face was priceless. I really had no idea how big the fish was until it broke water about 10 feet from us. At that point, we both nearly shat our pants. Moments later we had the beast on land. My only concern after getting the hook out, snapping a few pics and getting the fish back into the water, hoping to catch it another day.

I did not get a weight or length. Conservative estimates put the pig around 24inches and anywhere from 6-8 lbs. I am just glad I got him on that particular rod/reel setup. May have been a different story on my usual setup. I will have pics up as soon as possible.
tricky912

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently, i need 3 posts to do this...
tricky912

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added pics in gallery. Same fish.

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=23361
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a big F'in Bass !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish. Your son will certainly remember it for a long time!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice fish! Congrats! Makes me wish my knee would forgive me for a day to shore fish! Miss it so much!

Nice job!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet fish! But where's the Out of State Report for Lake Wallenpaupack? I've always wondered about that place. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pig!

I'm sure your son had a time of his life fighting that bass!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: